Back up photos while on the road

The requirement of backup for your travel shooting is one of those silly myths that's come down from when digital capture was new and film users didn't trust the new technology, it wasn't what they were used to. In those days, cameras weren't necessarily quite as reliable and cards did occasionally fail.
you clearly didn't travel enough, card failure is the least of problems you could find during a long trip. You could get stolen, you could lose one of your cards forgotten in one pocket that you sent for laundry, one of your mates could push you into a pool while you have your phone in your pocket, and the list goes on. All these (and more) happened to me during trips and what brought peace of mind was to send my backups home during my trips, its a good and cheap way of making sure that whatever happen to you and your gear, your photos are already safe.

you clearly didn't travel enough, card failure is the least of problems you could find during a long trip. You could get stolen, you could lose one of your cards forgotten in one pocket that you sent for laundry, one of your mates could push you into a pool while you have your phone in your pocket, and the list goes on. All these (and more) happened to me during trips and what brought peace of mind was to send my backups home during my trips, its a good and cheap way of making sure that whatever happen to you and your gear, your photos are already safe.

I've traveled around the world about 25 times in hundreds of business and personal trips over the past forty years. I think I've traveled enough, thank you. :)

I just don't have mates that push me into pools, and take care when handling my photo gear such that I don't lose cards, have gear stolen, throw my phone into the toilet, etc. To me, that's just personal sloppiness.

G

SD cards can get corrupted, almost by definition, it's a writeable medium exposed to things you can't control that have nothing to do with sloppiness: possible power surges from battery failure, camera firmware and hardware bugs (having worked in IT, I guarantee that no software is free of bugs), radiation, etc. Not to mention theft or disaster. I would at least copy photos daily to a laptop, phone, or tablet, so there are at least two copies, and not keep them in the same place.

I have considered an SD card duplicator such as this one.

Century-Centech-CT-DB300-USB-3.0-SD-Duplicator-Media-Reader-Writer.jpg

I understand that one can insert a full SD card and a blank card and it will duplicate the files without the need for a computer. The duplicate card can then go in a different bag, the hotel safe, or get posted home in an envelope.

Thanks for all your input. I'm still undecided. I will be bringing my iPad Pro, so that's an option, as is buying more cards and the WD Wireless Pro.

I would choose this: https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

main benefit being, no computer needed. the device either automatically downloads files from sd-card, or its possible to control the process with app.

I got curious and checked the compatibility with various cameras, cards, etc. on their website. IF you're interested in it for the wireless features, says it only works w/ Canon and Nikon, with the specific company's wifi adapters. Didn't say anything about the built-in wifi on some of the newer models.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but thought was worth a look. Sounds like its compatible w/ most brands of SD cards, so probably still an option.

I got curious and checked the compatibility with various cameras, cards, etc. on their website. IF you're interested in it for the wireless features, says it only works w/ Canon and Nikon, with the specific company's wifi adapters. Didn't say anything about the built-in wifi on some of the newer models.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but thought was worth a look. Sounds like its compatible w/ most brands of SD cards, so probably still an option.

I wasn't really interested in the wireless option. I think the older model actually sounded more interesting. With this type of device, I just wanted to be able plug in an SD card and copy the images to the device. An SSD (depending on the price), would also be good.

I've traveled around the world about 25 times in hundreds of business and personal trips over the past forty years. I think I've traveled enough, thank you. :)

I just don't have mates that push me into pools, and take care when handling my photo gear such that I don't lose cards, have gear stolen, throw my phone into the toilet, etc. To me, that's just personal sloppiness.

G
lol business trips...

lol business trips...

??

Obviously, you know nothing about my activities over the past 40+ years. I would suggest that instead of trying to say I don't know what I'm talking about, when it's my life and activities I'm referring to, you should accept that I know what my experiences are, and that I have my opinion on this matter.

... And shut up if you don't have anything to say that is of benefit to the readers of this thread.

Back