Battery Tip for Fuji GF670/Bessa III

chrism

Well-known
Local time
6:41 PM
I've been running into issues with my Bessa III - batteries seeming to run out quickly, and failing quite soon after replacement. I had cleaned the contacts but the problem continued and today another new battery failed to the point that the shutter wouldn't release. Another film torn out and discarded! I bought a bunch of CR2 batteries a couple of years ago and I had assumed that their shelf life had come to its natural end. But...

I decided to look into it a little further. A voltmeter said the 'failed' CR2 3V lithium battery is actually putting out 3V, leading me to realise this is a camera problem, which is bad news as I'm not sure how I would go about getting this camera repaired. I wouldn't mind terribly if the meter didn't work and I had to use an external meter, but the shutter won't fire if the battery doesn't supply the juice. I decided to clean the contacts again, using my secret weapon for battery contacts - undiluted Kodak Stop Bath (acetic acid dissolves the crud very nicely). This time I realised there was one thing I hadn't done. I had cleaned the positive contact in the battery well, and the negative contact in the form of the tiny spring on the cap, but I had not cleaned the threads that made electrical contact between the battery cap and the camera body. So the Q-Tip of Orange Goodness was swiped around the threads on the cap and those on the body, and, lo, it came away filthy! Having dried the threads with some tissue paper, the 'dead' battery now works and the meter works and the shutter works!
So, if like me, you are finding this lovely camera has battery problems, don't forget to clean the threads on the battery cap, along with those they screw into.

Chris

I have the gf670 and have not seen this issue, but I always remove the battery after shooting. There are threads regarding battery draining issues. And, Fuji will still repair these cameras, recent threads about that also.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have had issues over the decades with operational problems concerning remote controls, cameras, flashlights, etc. and at one point determined the issues were due to an invisible film on the contact pads of Alkaline batteries, and the associated device battery contacts. One remote control for my Surround Sound receiver that has steel contacts in it is my most problematic item. Scrubbing the contact points of batteries and the devices using an abrasive ink eraser works every time, and the "cleaning" lasts virtually months to a year or two depending on several factors, including a battery's potential to exude chemical or outgassing.

I've been using Deoxit on a small q-tip to clean the batteries and contact points. I'll be trying the screw cap as well as I'd forgotten that area.

I've had battery problems with my gf670 since i got it. In warmer weather the battery lasts a long time, in winter, I'll replace the battery and it'll die mid roll. I just have a ton of cr2 batteries for it. I might send it in to get fixed, soon. Apparently it is a known issue.

The gf670w I have has been fine, though.

I've had battery problems with my gf670 since i got it. In warmer weather the battery lasts a long time, in winter, I'll replace the battery and it'll die mid roll. I just have a ton of cr2 batteries for it. I might send it in to get fixed, soon. Apparently it is a known issue.

The gf670w I have has been fine, though.

Wish the GF670 would come like the Mamiya 7 system with an external battery case for cold weather - you store the battery inside your pocket to keep it warm, while a cable connects it to the camera's battery chamber.

Sadly few to no other manufacturer (as far as I know) makes the gadget. It should be made standard among professional cameras...

Back