Beseler C Topcon

Tom hicks

Well-known
Local time
7:20 PM
I picked this up on a whim last week and received it yesterday. This thing is a beast. Hope to have some time here shortly to put some film through it . Need to get a few more lens to go with it as well. Any others at RF shoot these things?

Attachments

• IMAG0132 3.jpg
    IMAG0132 3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0136 3.jpg
    IMAG0136 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0139 3.jpg
    IMAG0139 3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
I may have to get another model , maybe a Super D

Attachments

• IMAG0144-1 3.jpg
    IMAG0144-1 3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0142-13.jpg
    IMAG0142-13.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0145-13.jpg
    IMAG0145-13.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
another example of Navy predilection for BEASTs.

another example of Navy predilection for BEASTs.

Like the Kodak Medalist, which won US Navy contracts before it, the big Topcon 35mm's did service in the US Navy. Not sure whether the C did so, but the D and perhaps the Super D were used by the Navy. Topcon's large format lenses are excellent.

Thanks Kuzano , I read the same thing it was quite interesting . And they seem to have been used for quite sometime , longer than I would of thought.

Last edited:
The Topcon Super D was in use in the 70's while I was n the Navy.

Colyn did you have your love for camera and photography back then or was it acquired afterwords.

My Granddad gave me my first camera when I was 6 yo. I've been loving it since.. When I joined the Navy I picked photography. Did it for 10 years..

The navy connection made my first SLR choice for me

The navy connection made my first SLR choice for me

When I was looking for my first serious SLR, I was impressed by the Navy choice of the Topcon camera. I couldn't afford the big Topcon, but I ended up sending my money to a camera dealer in Hong Kong for a Topcon Unirex. Smaller aperture priority automatic interchangeable lens SLR. No manual override, but it had a spot meter function. This was in the early 70's. I still have it. The shutter was a leaf shutter in the body right behind the lens. Topcons of the time were the C, D, Super D, Auto 100, Unirex and a nice series of Large Format lenses. Perhaps more.

The Topcon Super D is very nice camera, but it doesn't have that old charm of an R, RII (also known as a Beseler B), or RIII (Beseler C). I have an R, and I've played with a Super D in the past.

If you want a camera that melds that precision feel of an old camera with function then consider an original Leicaflex.

I'm not saying that mid-60's onwards cameras aren't good; they just different in feel. More uniformed, more mass produced. I see this clearly when I compare my Leicaflex SL to an original Leicaflex, or the M4 I used to own to an M3. The feel is just different.

My first boss after I got out of school and got a real job was a Topcon collector. He had about everything, but was trying to track down a last few accessories. This was in 1984. Tanks indeed. Every time I hear Topcon I think of George.

Why I Shoot Leicas

Why I Shoot Leicas

My old man worked for the government and could buy at a PX in Japan. He got great deals on Bronicas (which I now own) and Topcons and Nikon Fs. SLRs were all the rage in the '60's, so I bucked the trend and shot Rollies and Leicas (IIIf and an M2R). I guess it was some kind of 'I'll do it my way' with my dad that young hot heads have that steered me to Leica (even though my dad had an M4 too).

Of course, I still borrowed the old man's gear (he had one heck of a camera collection), so I got to use the Topcon a lot. It was a great camera. Well built, and heavy enough to be used as a weapon if a good sized rock with sharp corners wasn't available.

My first boss after I got out of school and got a real job was a Topcon collector. He had about everything, but was trying to track down a last few accessories. This was in 1984. Tanks indeed. Every time I hear Topcon I think of George.

Everyone calls a Super D a "tank." And it looks like one. And compared to a Nikon F it feels like it too (somewhat). But it feels light when compared to any of the Leicaflex or any of the Contarex. I will say the one Super D I played with had a very smooth film advance lever. Almost no tension.

I understand the Topcor lenses are very good.

Last edited:
I wish someone would post some photos from this model camera here. Curious to see how it performs.

steveyork is right about the quality of the original Leicaflex (although the SL is an easier camera to use and no slouch in build quality, believe, me). I dearly hated selling my SL, but it was just too big. When I looked at myself in a mirror w/ it held up to my eye, wow, it looked amazingly large. No like. In hindsight, I probably should have put that killer lens on a small Pentax ME Super or something.

I wish someone would post some photos from this model camera here. Curious to see how it performs.

steveyork is right about the quality of the original Leicaflex (although the SL is an easier camera to use and no slouch in build quality, believe, me). I dearly hated selling my SL, but it was just too big. When I looked at myself in a mirror w/ it held up to my eye, wow, it looked amazingly large. No like. In hindsight, I probably should have put that killer lens on a small Pentax ME Super or something.

Steve , im going to the zoo today weather permitting and will post images as soon as I can .

Tom

Back