Bessa R - Does this have a faulty rangefinder?

zortonesta

Local time
12:13 AM
Hi all,

recently got back into 35mm after a long hiatus, I sold all my rangefinder gear and got into using digital GRs...l but that's another story.

Anyway, I've just got myself a little Bessa R and 35/2.5 CV Color Skopar and I'm wondering if I have a problem with the camera body.

When focussing the lens, between 0.7m and 1m there is no movement of the RF patch, after 1m it moves fine, focusses and hits infinity perfect (I just calibrated the infinity point as it was a hair off). The lens barrel is perfect and appears to be functioning without issue.

So I'm wondering, is this lack of movement between 0.7m and 1m due to the fact the body is unable to focus closer than 1m or is there a problem with the body that needs addressing?

Anyone with a Bessa R able to offer any advice?

Thanks all,

Most screw mount cameras can focus to "About" 0.9m. At about that point, the Wheel of the camera that follows the RF Cam of the lens becomes blocked by the threads of the lens. Many cameras have a mechanism to prevent the RF follower to go past the normal range.

You can open the back of the camera, and set the shutter to "B" to see what happens when you focus the lens.

I have an R. Haven't pulled it out in a long time so don't remember the RF behavior...but I suspect it simply decouples around 1m. If I remember, I'll pull it out and check.

Back