Bessa R - door coating

Thanks for the helpful comments. Seems best (when I tackle this project) to use denatured alcohol; it apparently works better (faster) than isopropyl alcohol.

Just tried with alcohol bought on the supermarket (65% denatured, 35% isopropyl), the one used on wounds, and works perfectly, leaves the door smooth and without any rubber residue.

Most of the discussion on this thread suggest removing the rubber coating with denatured alcohol. I was prepared to go that route, but was somewhat reluctant since the rubber had not really deteriorated to the extent that some people had experienced. The main problems was fading of the black colour and "sweating" through the rubber.

What I have done thus far. I began with vinyl conditioner (e.g. Armour All, for use on vinyl in your car). I first used a cloth soaked in very hot water to 'open' the surface of the rubber; I let the cloth sit there a minute and then poured the vinyl conditioner onto the surface, letting it sink in and dry overnight, removing the excess with a dry cloth. After a couple of these treatments, I switched to car polish. I vigorously rubbed the self-cleaning car wax onto the plastic, let it dry and rubbed it off. Repeat. The problem SEEMS to have been resolved - the coating looks much better and there is no more "sweating". Whether it will last over time and especially with warm weather around the corner, is of course another question.

Hey guys, I have the same problem that the back door became very sticky and I bought the methylated spirit in the supermarket (In Australia you can buy it from Coles or Woolworth). It works great and the camera just became like a new one!

Good to have your report! Do you find the plastic surface less tactile than a rubberised surface?

Hi, traveler_101.
Yes, the plastic door feels a little bit more smooth than it was when coated with rubber. However, the feeling is not bad at all, since the plastic doesn't feel cheap. On the contrary, it gives you a solid feeling.
Of course, it depends personally, if your coat is still in a bearable condition, I won't recommend you doing this. However, if you are facing the same problem I had before (which was very sticky), then just remove the rubber!

Hi guys.
I was looking for a solution to the infamous problem but didn't really find anyhing. Replacing film cover against one from Nikon FE/FM10 isn't that much improvement. I also tried Ricoh KR5 - unfortunately the film cover doesn't fit due to different construction of the hinges. Otherwise it would be a great fix.

I shouldn't really complain about my back door as it is in relatively good shape. However I don't like the sticky feel of the coating. I decided to accept the challenge and find a solution to the problem. As already mentioned by some of you Cosina used same parts in different camera models so I obtained Cosina C1 for ca 10EUR as a spare parts donor for my experiment.

My solution: self adhesive faux leather. It's easy to work with, it's thin and its shape can be easily adjusted with a hair dryer. I attached a photo of the final result.
40952023614_7445d5485c_k.jpg

It was my first attempt. I decided to leave the small plastic window covered - It looks better to me and I don't really need it. It can however be easily cut.

It was very easy to remove the original coating. I could accept the bare plastic as a solution as well but don't really like the touch of it. Faux leather can at least fool my eyes and makes better impression.

Looks great! You put the the leather on the door from a C1? Did you remove the coating from the C1 door first? Where did you get the leather?

Hi guys.
I was looking for a solution to the infamous problem but didn't really find anyhing. Replacing film cover against one from Nikon FE/FM10 isn't that much improvement. I also tried Ricoh KR5 - unfortunately the film cover doesn't fit due to different construction of the hinges. Otherwise it would be a great fix.

I shouldn't really complain about my back door as it is in relatively good shape. However I don't like the sticky feel of the coating. I decided to accept the challenge and find a solution to the problem. As already mentioned by some of you Cosina used same parts in different camera models so I obtained Cosina C1 for ca 10EUR as a spare parts donor for my experiment.

My solution: self adhesive faux leather. It's easy to work with, it's thin and its shape can be easily adjusted with a hair dryer. I attached a photo of the final result.
40952023614_7445d5485c_k.jpg

It was my first attempt. I decided to leave the small plastic window covered - It looks better to me and I don't really need it. It can however be easily cut.

It was very easy to remove the original coating. I could accept the bare plastic as a solution as well but don't really like the touch of it. Faux leather can at least fool my eyes and makes better impression.

@traveler_101
I removed the original coating. I found this faux leather online - it's actually vinyl foil used for car tuning (ie. dashboards and other interior parts) :)

I removed the coating using rubbing alcohol. Worked really well. Once the rubber coating is off, it was just the plastic door. It looks really good with no coating. No stickiness, no gouges. Looks a heck of a lot better.

Back