Bessa R film door movement

v_roma

Well-known
Local time
1:22 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been asking around and have yet to get an answer so I thought I'd ask here as well. I recently got a Bessa R as I'm planning to get back to some film shooting. I noticed that the back door of the camera moves noticeably when I press down (and moves back when I release pressure). This is the case with my other film cameras but not to the same extent as the Bessa R. Does anyone with experience with the Bessa R and can tell me whether this is normal behavior?

My concern is that the door is as flush with the camera as it should be and it'll end up introducing light leaks. I plan to put a roll through the camera to test this but was hoping to get some indication of whether or not this is an issue before doing so.

Thank you!

Much less give with a film cartridge! Thanks for the suggestion. I also heard elsewhere from a Bessa R2 owner and it appears that that model also has more give than typical of other cameras but it is not an issue.

I just purchased a Bessa L that had a similar issue. I was able to adjust the film door latch/hooks slightly, so there was less play when the door is closed - there are 1-2 two screws; I can’t remember exactly - but it fixed the door giggle. It’s loaded with film so I cannot look now.

Back