Bessa R3A and R2A rangefinder adjustment

campy

Local time
9:43 AM
I just picked up a R3A with a 40mm f1.4 and a R2A with a 35mm f2.5 off a craigslist ad and both rangefinders seem to be off but I think only in the vertical direction. I saw instructions on adjusting the rangefinder but I thought I would check here to see if this is something that's straight forward or is there a chance of screwing it up. I will be selling one of them and I thought I would keep one for myself but not sure which one is better. Any help will be appreciated.

would be techs in search of an audience make Voigtlander Bessa RF adjustments sound easy.

Hardly a month goes by without getting at least one DIYSelfer who has damaged his Bessa rangefinder attempting to adjust it.

We charge $95 + 15 return shipping for Bessa Adjustments

and $150 to $250 additional to repair DIYS damaged Bessa rangefinder mechanisms

Stephen

As you mentioned, it's a pretty straight forward adjustment once you remove the hot shoe. Just go slow and follow the directions. I did it on my R3A w/ no problems. It helps to have some good screwdrivers. I have some decent ones that came from Ace Hardware, but the ones below would be a good (and inexpensive) investment). If you look around on the web you can probably find a youtube tutorial. It's amazing what you can find there!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIJFSU

I do have a set of good screwdrivers and have done some lens cleanings and repaired a Kowa Six a few weeks ago. I thought I would try it on the one I will be keeping for myself and just want to check here for tips or warnings about doing it. Any preference on which one I should keep?

I did the vertical focus adjustment on both cameras tonight and they now are fine. Now I have to consider if I want to tackle a stiff focus on the 40mm f1.4.

Which one would be best to keep? I am planning on selling at least one.

There's no straight forward answer to that question so make a decision based on which suits your shooting style best.

Both are the 'A' models so no difference there. You're essentially picking which one has the VF to match your preference of lenses and focal lengths.

If you never shoot wider than 35mm, or shoot predominantly 50mm, then the 1:1 VF in the R3A is quite special.

Back