Bessa R3M 250th Anniversary value

javimm

Established
Local time
9:57 AM
Hi.First of all I'd like to apologize if this kind of questions is not allowed, but I have not been able to find any info on the subject.
My father is thinking about selling his black Bessa R3M 250th anniversary. It comes with and Heliar 50mm f2.0 that was included in the original package. I've not been able to find any info on the current value of such cameras.
He wants to decide if it is worth it selling it, as the camera is not getting any use at all.
Any ideas of the value?.
I have seen regular Bess R3M-R2M bodies selling for around 600€ but I think that was a bit on the expensive side. I guess the 250th anniversary tag increases the value, but as I said, I have not been able to find anything.

Thank you very much.

I'm seeing a R2M 250 anniversary with same lens for about $1,400 (including shipping), so something close to that? Also, the one I'm seeing is mint and it been on sale for a while so I don't think it is on the cheap side.

This cameras don't trade heavily. Lens is scarce and set has a lot of inherent collective value. The main problem with this is finding someone that is looking for it and willing to pay your asked price.

My experience with this kind of set is with the Bessa T/Heliar 50 f/3.5 250 anniversary edition. I ogled at them for months and they where on the $650-900 range (excluding shipping). I finally decided to get one and asked the seller to lower the price to $600(+ $50 shipping). Seller complied and I bought it for $650 total. Mine didn't came on the original presentation case, which didn't mattered much to me because I wanted for use, not collection. This hint to the fact that they aren't being actively searched by collectors/buyers, but only by bargain hunters.

If you decide on a price please let me know. We may strike a deal.

Best regards.

Marcelo

Edit: By the way, here is the one I'm seeing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Almost-unused-Voigtlander-BESSA-R2M-250-Jahre-HELIAR-50mm-F2-from-japan-785/264066592456?hash=item3d7b986ec8:g:iuwAAOSwsABaWxTj:rk:16:pf:0

Edit 2: Corrected to aren't being searched by collectors actively.

Speaking in general terms, I have found that looking on eBay for 'Completed - Sold' auctions for the item is a good way to gauge typical selling prices. It can be tough if there just aren't that many around, and prices can vary quite a bit, but it's better than nothing.

Speaking in general terms, I have found that looking on eBay for 'Completed - Sold' auctions for the item is a good way to gauge typical selling prices. It can be tough if there just aren't that many around, and prices can vary quite a bit, but it's better than nothing.

Great advice. That will provide a general ballpark and start from there. If you aren't on a hurry to sell, you can start with that and wait some time to see if anyone interested come around. In the other hand, if you are on a hurry, try with a lower price than that. This will attract both collectors and bargain hunters as well.

Marcelo

Thank you all for the very helpful advice.

According to the Ebay finished auctions, they seem to go around 1000€ more or less. A lot of them are sold from Japan. It's a good price I think if he manages to find a buyer for that price.

My father is in the process of selling a lot of unused gear to make room for a Sony Alpha system and he is selling all his Canon SLR gear and the Bessa will be sold after, I guess.

Maybe in the near future he will end up putting an ad here. He will try to sell it locally first probably, but as stated, it'll probably take some time.

The camera itself it's a beauty, but he has not used it that much. The same goes for my Leica M6 but that's another story :)

Thnks again.

Back