Best 28 or 35mm for Sony A7

Adapter

Adapter

Well, I could not wait, and just bought the brand new 28mm f2.0 FE lens for $449 and it will be at my door this Tuesday, March 17th! I did not want to wait until the end of the month for B&H, and I am very surprised at the speed of the order and delivery form Hong Kong! I will give my impressions as soon as I get it. This might be the sleeper lens we all have sought and a perfect landscape street shooters lens. I am reading reports of excellent resolution and flare control. It may be the much better buy than the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 FE, and in fact, the best of any buy (it might run circles around some of the Leica lenses and other adapted options for the price. This lens might answer the prime question of this thread!

I am also reading very positive reviews of the Super Wide adapter for this lens, excellent sharpness and resolution across the frame, and for a little over $200 for the adapter!!! Wow!!!

The mtf charts for the 28mm sony lens are extremely impressive, comparable (or better) than the Leica 28mm summicron. Both the companies publish computed rather than measured mtf numbers (unlike Zeiss).

Ofcourse mtf is just one aspect, but in any case I'm also waiting for this lens to become available.

FE lens mtf chart: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel28f20

Leica lens mtf: http://leica-camera.pl/wp-content/downloads/Summicron-M_28_mm_ASPH_Technical_Data_en.pdf

I am also reading very positive reviews of the Super Wide adapter for this lens, excellent sharpness and resolution across the frame, and for a little over $200 for the adapter!!! Wow!!!

Interesting chart data

Interesting chart data

The mtf charts for the 28mm sony lens are extremely impressive, comparable (or better) than the Leica 28mm summicron. Both the companies publish computed rather than measured mtf numbers (unlike Zeiss).

Ofcourse mtf is just one aspect, but in any case I'm also waiting for this lens to become available.

FE lens mtf chart: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel28f20

Leica lens mtf: http://leica-camera.pl/wp-content/downloads/Summicron-M_28_mm_ASPH_Technical_Data_en.pdf

I looked at the MTF charts for both the Sony 28mm and Leica 28mm, and to my eye they are so close it is not even funny. I have been using Leica lenses since 1990, and it seems companies like sony are rapidly closing the quality and performance gap where we can see little difference in a $400 and $3000 lens in terms of imaging power. Now I will say Leica is nice because it is all metal , glass, and hand made, but for those of us who shoot what is most important? This new 28mm Sony lens I predict will be a huge smashing hit, even to those of us who own expensive Leica glass!

Sweet! I plan on ordering one from B&H when it becomes available. Post some images.

Well, I could not wait, and just bought the brand new 28mm f2.0 FE lens for $449 and it will be at my door this Tuesday, March 17th! I did not want to wait until the end of the month for B&H, and I am very surprised at the speed of the order and delivery form Hong Kong! I will give my impressions as soon as I get it. This might be the sleeper lens we all have sought and a perfect landscape street shooters lens. I am reading reports of excellent resolution and flare control. It may be the much better buy than the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 FE, and in fact, the best of any buy (it might run circles around some of the Leica lenses and other adapted options for the price. This lens might answer the prime question of this thread!

28 2.0

28 2.0

I don't pay much attention to charts, real images are much more telling about a lens performance to me but it obviously don't hurt that the numbers looks promissing.
I too look forward to hear and see what the lens can do so please post.

I now have the Sony 28mm f2.0 in my hands, first impressions!

I now have the Sony 28mm f2.0 in my hands, first impressions!

The brand new Sony FE 28mm f2.0 arrived at my door today from DigitalRev and man I am really impressed! I rented the 35mm 2.8 FE and mark my words, this lens is made just as well and from what I see in the camera, just as sharp if not sharper at the corners at f2.0! Color and tone are excellent, no flare, just an all out WOW and for a little over $400 USD, a no brainer. With this kind of lens at this price, I see little purpose in fiddling around with anything else. It seems to be that good! I am sure I have excited some of you but this is what I see! The barrel is ALL METAL!!!! Love that!

I would have guessed that the new Zeiss 35/1.4 (the big and pricey one) is probably the best lens for A7.

Back