Best 35mm SLR?

bwcolor

Mentor
Local time
12:24 AM
I've got a bevy of Canon 'L' glass and was thinking of purchasing a film body. I mainly was thinking of the SLR for my longer lenses... longest 200mm. I decided to buy the latest and greatest Canon and then a few things hit me. One, I don't need all the fancy metering, nor rapid fire and I hate huge cameras. Two, I use to love my mechanical Nikons and had a real interest in the small Olympus of earlier years.

What is your ultimate SLR and why? What SLR might you want to buy? ...ah and yes I have searched and read other threads.

The best would be any body that fit the lens you are trying to use.
I would say a used EOS-3 would do well.
For me it has been the Contax RX for my Zeiss lens.

Jasonhupe is right: if you've already got a great lens, any box that will mount it is the right box. The EOS-3 and EOS-7 are capable cameras.

Nikon F2 without a doubt, best slr IMO
Nikon F (functions marginally smoother than F2)
Leica R compact and nice muffled mirror return
Leica SL2 brighter finder than the Nikons

Pentax LX (black on silver if possible) with an A50/1.2 lens. Simple, basic UI; solid but not too heavy, amazing viewfinder and superb image quality--not much to dislike about this combo. Sadly, I had an LX (black only, with a 50/1.4) but money issues in the late 80s forced me to sell it. There are many times when I regret that decision. I've seen many cameras come and go over the past 40 years or so and the LX is one of the very few that I "really" wish I'd kept. To make myself feel super dumb every so often I go here...

www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-reviews/61230-pentax-lx.html

Absolute best SLR ever - Canon T90
Second best - Nikon F2
Best AF - Canon Elan 7E (the eye control is actually quite useful)

Honorable Mention - Canon FTbN

William

I see several of you jumped in with comments while I was musing over my post. Have to agree with Jason--the LX is long gone but my long standing M50/1.7 still produces very nice pictures when mounted on an immaculate little MZ-6 that I picked up for $50...

If FD mount, I say the F1 and a lot of people say the T90.
If EOS mount, many threads suggest the EOS 3.
As many have said, not much point looking at other brands if you are looking to mount Canon.

Good luck.

I'm with ruby on this one...life is too short to be cheap with yourself. Doesn't matter how much money you have when you go, you can't take it with you.

Just go out and buy what you want...thats what I do.

F

Any Nikon since is just poncified and less reliable.

Or if you want something beautlfully made but a touch weird: Alpa.

Cheers,

R.

Any Nikon F, F2, F3, F4.
I'm tempted by a Leica R6.2 or R7 but keep reminding myself that a Nikon 50mm f2 costs £50 and a Leica R 50 f2 £250
I still think the D700 is the best SLR though with one lens, 24-70 2.8

Back