Best aquisition of the year?

Not a rangefinder but I swapped a Nikon speedlight for a mint Rolleiflex. I think I got the better deal. You can read the story on my blog if you wish.

Bought the Zeiss ZM18 Distagon early in 2008 (with the fall in value of the Oz$ vis a vis the greenback it would cost me twice as much to buy today.) This lens made me an immediate Zeiss glass fan. My other major purchase was a Hex 50 2.4 collapsible in as new condition the perfect companion for my Hex 35UC. With 2 daughters in a private college in 2009 this will be a sabbatical year however.

A 1938 uncoated 50mm Elmar and a 1949 coated 50mm Elmar both in a box of Leica odds and ends I got at auction for 10 dollars.

i had been trying to get a GREAT DEAL on a M3 all last year, and i finally found one the other day. And to my surprise, a 50/1.4 summilux came with it.
:nod&grin:

An almost mint CLE for $300--not a steal, but I'm happy w/ it--what a clear bright VF! The best of all, however, is/was a new g/f, who I expect to marry after an eternity of being single. I can't believe how lucky I am.

Last edited:
An M2 and a rigid Summicron... I feel more confortable shoting with the M2 than with the M6... Dr. is this normal or I'm ill?

An almost mint CLE for $300--not a steal, but I'm happy w/ it--what a clear bright VF! The best of all, however, is/was a new g/f, who I expect to marry after an eternity of being single. I can't believe how lucky I am.
Congratulations on both counts Bill!.....hope you told her about occasional bouts of GAS! :D
Dave.

Back