Best budget black and white film?

Fomapan 100 is fantastic, especially in Rodinal - which is also cheap as chips per roll, but unfortunately unobtanium in a post-Brexit UK. I've just ordered some Bellini RDL to see if it truly is the same stuff.

Here's a couple of samples of the Foma 100/Rodinal combo:

View attachment 4819797
(Leica IIIg, Summar)

View attachment 4819798
(Leica IIIg, 90mm Elmar)

View attachment 4819799
(Leica IIIg, Canon 35/1.8)

View attachment 4819800
(Leotax T2L, Voigtlander 28mm Color Skopar)

...however, for what it's worth, I've tried developing in LC29 at the same exposure index and get completely blown out highlights, so maybe give that combo a miss.
I second Fomapan 100 and Rodinal. Arista 100 sure looks like the same as Fomapan to me, I'm a couple rolls into that since Foma film has gotten more expensive in the US. I generally like 1:25 and a little more frequent agitation (5 sec or one inversion every 30-45 sec), as I've found this film more sensitive to bromide drag for some reason.

Nice photos by the way!

I shoot XP2 at a very wide latitude in 120. But I also get it developed at a 1 hour lab here in town and then scanned. No prints unless made from the scans - a hybrid process that works well for me.

I hope to try that with a roll of XP2 in my N90 next.

Also for 400 speed film, Arista/Fomapan is a very grainy stock, but has a cool look if you're okay with grain. Rodinal is probably not the best developer for this film, but I'll defer to more experienced darkroom technicians, as I haven't used much else except for DF96.

I shot a good amount of Fomapan 200/Arista 200 (bought a 100' roll). It's an interesting film. As I understand, it's a mix of traditional cubic and tabular grain, and it comes out a little grainy but with a lot of fine detail. 200 speed film is pretty versatile, so I'd recommend giving it a try if that interests you, and seeing what you think of it.

In N America XP2 120 is $9.50, and 35mm $12.95.... (HP5 is $8.95 in 120/ $8.50 in 35mm)... nowhere near the most 'budget' friendly films at all.
Kentmere, Foma & Arista are at least 50% less.....much more economical.

Also for 400 speed film, Arista/Fomapan is a very grainy stock, but has a cool look if you're okay with grain. Rodinal is probably not the best developer for this film, but I'll defer to more experienced darkroom technicians, as I haven't used much else except for DF96.
I've shot far too much Fomapan 400, so maybe I can help a bit on that front.

LC29 gives it a fair bit of punch - good contrast - and keeps the grain minimal if exposed correctly. I expect HC110 would behave the same:

LeicaIIIf-Roll52-Foma-PT.jpg
(Leica IIIf, 90mm Elmar)

Rodinal is really hit-and-miss. I think it's tonally the nicest combo, but it won't tolerate under-exposure at all - it'll become a grainy mess. Make sure you meter well. You'll be rewarded with insanely sharp and rich images if you get it right, though.

CanonIIIa-Roll1-Foma (14).jpg
(Canon IIIa, 90mm Elmar and a Focoslide)

ID11 or D76 is inoffensive and works, but is neither as smooth and punchy as LC29, nor as rich and crisp as Rodinal. Very middle-of-the road. Not bad, just didn't excite me much. That tends to be my reaction to ID11 with most films, to be honest.

LeicaIIIf-2020-Foma-ID11.jpg
(Leica IIIf, Canon 35/1.8)

Thank you all for the kind responses, it looks like I'll probably go with an order of Arista 200 to try it out, or some Kentmere if I can find it (Kentmere seems to be a little less common).

That's a good note to avoid the 400 ISO Arista unless you're going for the grainy look, I think that's where I was seeing the mixed reviews on websites in the past.

As already mentioned, both the 100 and 200 foma are good. Apparently the Kentmere range is good but I haven't tried it. A couple of times I managed to get some stock of Ilford Pan400 film (not the same as kentmere pan400) and it is also very good but difficult to get.
There are rumors Kentmere is Ilford film.

Apologies for going off at a tangent regarding C41 process film. I have returned to the 'workflow' that I used in my youth. Take pictures, send film off for process and prints and enjoy getting the results (OK throwing away plenty). Obviously C41 process is the cheapest so in b/w that is the way to go. Slower films good for me.

As far as I am aware in the UK there are no high street one hour services etc etc.

I am considering getting some photo albums and some of those sticky corner mounts but maybe that is going a little too far .....maybe.

I've been shooting Foma 100/200 35/120 in HC-110 stand developed 100:1 for 60 minutes. with 4 inversions at the start and 4 at 30 minutes in.

Fomapan 100
50850643913_120d26cf97_c.jpg

51010045853_41c4010dd2_c.jpg

52015601334_03a64df515_c.jpg

Kentmere in PMK Pyro is wonderful stuff as Rick Drawbridge has shown many times at photonet. It is also a good option for pinhole photography as the reciprocity failure profile is much superior to Fomapan. For normal photography, though, I like Foma fine.

I found an interesting detailed Kentmere vs Fomapan comparison: Fomapan 400 & Kentmere 400 Review - Battle of the Budgets - by Simon King

Of course this is at 400 speed. He says he prefers the Kentmere 400 over the Fomapan. I shall endeavor to purchase both if I get the chance, especially Kentmere at 400 if the fomapan suffers at 400. I think it's out of stock at B&H though.
What part of the world are you located, @Forest_rain? In the US, Freestyle Photo and Film Photography Project both have 24-exposure rolls of Kentmere 400 in stock. I haven't tried Fomapan 400, but here are some samples of Kentmere 400.

2022.11.18 Roll #321-07564-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

2022.07.13 Roll #313-07256-positive.jpg

2022.07.03 Roll #310-07204-positive.jpg

I posted my previous reply too early.
@Zuiko-logist I wanted to add that if you find a "Ilford Pan 400" (see pic below) to give it a try. Ilford is making some confusing names with the way they market their kentmere 400 (They also call it pan400). The Ilford Pan 400 has nice contrast and fine grain, it is cheaper than HP5+ but it is aimed at the eastern market. I still consider it a budget film - I usually buy 10 when I go to Poland (if the local shop has).

Ilford Pan 400 01.JPG

ScanImage254.jpg

ScanImage256.jpg

IMG_20230322_094952_(850_x_583_pixel).jpg

ScanImage64.jpg

Kentmere 400 has a weaker anti-halation, so very bright highlights can have a bit of bloom, though using the Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2 near wide open here probably adds to the effect.

2022.07.17 Roll #315-07336-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

And if you have the right RGB filters, Kentmere 400 does a pretty good stand in for color film. :cool:

2021.08.16 Roll #288-06521-positive-trichrome.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

2022.02.17 Roll #299-06987-positive-trichrome.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Beautiful pictures. I live in Hawaii, so the US, I believe some of the film stocks mentioned are not available to us here. I think freestyle's shipping to Hawaii is a bit expensive, and I prefer 36 exposure rolls, but I'll keep my eye out for some kentmere as hopefully film availability evens out at some point.

Kentmere 400 definitely looks amazing in your images, although with the bright sun here, 200 ISO might be a better bet.

Back