California (Bay Area, Northern) Best places to develop b/w in San Francisco

MelanieC

Well-known
Local time
7:03 AM
Hey all,

I need a list of places I can get my black and white photos developed in town. I took the last roll to Gasser's, but it's an ordeal to get down there so I'm looking for somewhere either not that far away, or at least easier to get to (there doesn't seem to be a quick way to get there from the Sunset). I live near UCSF.

There's one place down on Irving, near 9th, that told me they develop b/w, but I don't know if they're any good. Of course, it's not like my photos are very good, so maybe I shouldn't be so picky.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Melanie, you will likely get the best results if you start developing BW yourself. It doesn't require a darkroom, and it is very easy, and very inexpensive. Allows you to have full control and you can push/pull your film to different ISOs.

Let us know if you want a list of references to get started.

These are pretty much the only 2 books you need to get started.

Mastering Black-and-White Photography - Bernhard J. Seuss

The Film Developing Cookbook - Stephen G. Anchell

Don't worry, before long, we'll have you bulk loading your own film ! good luck

If you do drive across the bridge, Looking Glass Photo does development of B/W film. ( i think they send it to Alab down near 3rd street, berkeley)

Quality's good (imho) and their used collection's kinda interesting. (found my mint bessa R2a there for 230$usd).

Here's their webby: www.lookingglassphoto.com

:)

Try going to the SF Photo Center at 50 Scott Street and see if they have a photo class you can take. Take the N streetcar downtown and get off at the end of the Duboce tunnel. They open at 3pm ask for Peter or Clarence.

I agree with Tom, Melanie. It's so easy to do at home, and so few options exist nowadays. Even if you find someone, you'll probably end up developing at home, for the convenience and control. The only real PITA is dealing with spent fixer (it really shouldn't go down the drain). :)

Hi Melanie.... here's some options. 1) Lightwaves on Russ Street south of Market. 2) Gamma on Clementina south of Market. 3) and this may be the best good lab option for you.... Photoworks on Market near 15th Street. This is on the northern edge of the Castro and the streetcar should go right by there. 4) one of the various rental labs where you can take a class. 5) do it yourself.

Ed

My favorite b&w labs in San Francisco:

1) Oscar's photo lab on Brannan, and
2) Gamma on Clementina

'Unfortunately' for you they are both in SoMa :)

I can but echo some of the comments made here. Develop your own. It is easier than you think, and (I have not had time to work this out) I think you save money and time. I only go to the camera shop to get prints anymore. They send it out to PhotoLab, which does fairly nice work. Plus, with developing yourself, you get to see what you want to print before you pay for it. A very nice option if you ask me.

Drew

I agree to what the others say. You should develop your own, at least the negatives. The equipment is about $20 on ebay, and it really is a piece of cake. If the negative is good, any halfways decent lab should be able to make an acceptable print. If you are absolutely not willing to develop on your own, I recoomend to use Kodak BW400CN or Ilford XP2, which are developed in the same standardised process as colour films.

Back