Big

And if counting pennies is not your thing, where is Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. lens. Or all glass and metal Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 lens. Those ain't just 55 1.8 lens.

I understand that 1.8 isn't so sexy, but there is way more to a lens than how fast it is...and 1.8 is not slow. I stand by my opinion that the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 for Sony is a great lens. That said, I'm not sure why you are comparing those M43 85mm lenses to a Sony FF 55mm (other than one guy used it on APSC). Probably better to compare them to the Sigma 56mm 1.4 that is made for Sony APSC.

I understand that 1.8 isn't so sexy, but there is way more to a lens than how fast it is...and 1.8 is not slow. I stand by my opinion that the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 for Sony is a great lens. That said, I'm not sure why you are comparing those M43 85mm lenses to a Sony FF 55mm (other than one guy used it on APSC). Probably better to compare them to the Sigma 56mm 1.4 that is made for Sony APSC.

I compared them because of the size. OM-D 25 and 45 1.8 are small lenses. I think even third lens could be accommodated under price for single Zeiss 55 1.8. :) But here is Sony 50 1.8 for 250 USD :).

I compared them because of the size. OM-D 25 and 45 1.8 are small lenses. I think even third lens could be accommodated under price for single Zeiss 55 1.8. :) But here is Sony 50 1.8 for 250 USD :).

I understand now... that 50mm 1.8 for Sony is handicapped. It makes you refocus every time you take a photo ... no matter if you are focusing at the same exact distance. Other than that, a great deal...

No doubt about it though...the Canon Rp and the 35mm and 50mm 1.8 lenses are a great deal.

Sure.
998 USD for just a 50 1.8 nifty fifty?
And 898 USD for a just cropper.

Canon RP is 999 USD.
Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM Lens is 599 USD.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/20...t-magic-canon-rf-85mm-f2-macro-is-stm-review/

Ko.Fe, my comment is about size and convenience. Also about the quality level available in this size range.

As for quality, maybe a shootout is in order. Seriously, I have no quality issue with the images I'm getting from "just a cropper."

Here's a size comparison.

Ko.Fe, my comment is about size and convenience. Also about the quality level available in this size range.

As for quality, maybe a shootout is in order. Seriously, I have no quality issue with the images I'm getting from "just a cropper."

Here's a size comparison.

Yea, sometimes I feel I have gain next to nothing after I jumped from Canon 500D and 50 1.8 on it. :)

A lot of camera gear - including fast, optically superior lenses and new camera models every few years - is simply to feed rapacious modern capitalism. Most professional photographers - and I know many, including a Magnum member - don't need or want this stuff. But if the company's didn't churn out bigger, better lenses and cameras with improved and more features, they'd die. In fact, look at the somewhat perilous state of some camera companies - they're already dying!

It's a pity we can't return to a simpler, less rapacious world that doesn't need rampant capitalist consumerism for survival...

It's a pity we can't return to a simpler, less rapacious world that doesn't need rampant capitalist consumerism for survival...
True enough but I don't see how the average consumer could buy an affordable camera without it. The Soviets gave it a try, after taking German technology as war booty until their system collapsed. Cheers, OtL

Capitalism in countries with normal elections is free enterprise, it means inventions and progress. Germans are in stuck with same partaigenosse frau for two decades, but it is free nation choice. They were able to make M10, overpriced A7 knock-offs and small 35 APO, big progress for them. They are kings of marketing still with relabeled Panasonic cameras.
Japanese still have imperator, but made in Japan means inventions.
While Russians have not even Chinese capitalism and all they could do now is to label discounted M240 chassis as Zenit and slam some crappy, big 35mm lens on it. They can't even make their own lenses without Lomography. Because they have no freedoms, including enterprise.

In real world I see most of the photogs with simple kits. Big fast primes became useless with high ISO sensors. For general public for sure.
For those who can't be satisfied with subject in full focus, free market makes lenses to photograph bokeh instead of subject.

Do you mean before the days of the Roman empire? :)

People simply aren't buying cameras, automobiles, home stereos, collecting stamps and coins, or visiting hobby shops like they used to. But they sure are buying non-electronic card and board games:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

Back