Black beauty 2: The Nikon F

Dennis liked da F

DennisHopper_zpsbojwmkja.jpg

Just so happens that I was watching the movie a few days back and trying to identify the Fs and the lenses that "Rafterman" always had around his neck. I think, an F and a Photomic, one with the 105 and the other maybe the 35 or 50? May need to rewatch it on a larger screen just to see the equipment more clearly.

Quite a movie too.

The Fs played a role in Kubrick's brilliant "Full Metal Jacket."

HFL

Yes, the Ftn has an 85/1.8 from the first batch produced in 1964 and the plain prism has a 58/1.4 from the first production run of this lens, which was in 1959.

I own a black F with plain prism and a silver F. So i transplanted the black prism along with the black nameplate to the silver F, now i have a duo-tone Nikon F, looks similar to the Nikon F2 where the prism is always black.

I feel for Dennis!!! I used to do Audio-Visual shows, Ektachrome and 4 bodies. Initially two F's with F36 and two without. Lenses were 28/35/50/ and 105. Two around the neck and one on each shoulder - prism finders to save weight!.
Later I switched to F2's with the MD drives (mainly for the motorized rewind). Probably screwed up my back more or less permanently! I had a "schlepper" whose job it was to unload and reload as I went through the film. He loved the MD2 drives - just flip a switch and film rewound. A normal day could be 80+ rolls and hours of editing and programming with a Dove (in "real" time) and anywhere from 6 to 24 Ektagraphic projectors. One area were digital would be an improvement.

I wasn't looking when this one was found on Craigslist...came with the original Nikon F Photomic finder (S#885993) I was able to find a period correct plain prism...
Nikon F #6465043
27008606486_1bea1c2cbc_c.jpg

Back