Black G2 as seen in Lisbon

jdos2

Well-known
Local time
5:50 PM
Ok, it wasn't Lisbon, per se, but Amadora, in FNAC, Colombo mall. I saw a Black G2 with the Zeiss zoom lens for only 3,600 Euro.

That's a rather lot, isn't it? Especially considering the Leica with the collapsible 50mm right next to it was Euro 1,000 less...

Sorry, but this camera, given its cybernetic nature, only looks good in chrome.

I'm biased: I own a G1, which came only in chrome, and I love the look it has. Black Contax? Looks fake to me...

Oh, right now I'm looking for either.

I really almost wish I'd not traded that little beast away. Of course, I got the Mamiya 7 for it, but...

So, I'm in the market. I think I'm going for the alternate kit, too- the 21mm, 35mm and 90mm lenses insted of the more normal 28,45,90... None on e-Bay now.

I got wind that you can find oodles of G1 selling for peanuts on eBay (box, papers and all, they say). I haven't checked myself... yet, but I do remember having seen one body fly a while ago for less than $200 (shipping included).

Now, G2s are a bit pricy (still), because they haven't been discontinued. Good luck!

Take a look at a G1 shot (with the Planar 35mm). BTW, my avatar was done with it too, on Ilford chromogenic film!

I used to have a G-2, and liked it, but the siren song of a 6x7 negative with optics that really can't be rivaled for anything but speed in the Mamiya 7 called and it went before I travelled. I wasn't sad to be rid of the camera at the time, but I have some sellers remorse now- it really was a great quick-shot camera and never gave me trouble except when I ran past the design limitations (shutter cap on, push the button- oops! 16 second exposure, pull the cap off and the film gate stays open until the two adjoining shots are destroyed)

Eventually. I really want the whole kit. I've too many cameras, what's one more?

You want a G2? Go ahead, please... you have all my moral support! Right now, I'm busy with a couple of Leicas (one of which is at the body shop, getting repaired). Otherwise, I'd have a small stable of the best RFs there are: Canonet, Contax, Zeiss Ikon Nettar and, of course, a little black Leica M6TTL.

Now, what's in the G2 that makes it so much better than the G1? If it's the ftp speed or the additional shutterspeed... I'd just go for a G1. Does the G2 have active or passive AF? The G1 is a passive AF camera, which means it uses the same system SLRs have.

Oh, I digress... If I see G2 kits for sale, I'll drop you a PM through this board. Just in case... check out the www.photo.net classifieds. IIRC, there may be some surprises waiting there for you in the 35mm Non-SLR section. :)

ACK! There's one on e-Bay right now- the kit I want, 21, 35, 90. Doh!!! Too close to the holidays. Must save money, must save money...

Yeap! Save money right now. You'll see them popping all over the place at ludicrous prices in January and February!

Back