Black M2 Rapidwinder

jkjod

Well-known
Local time
11:39 AM
Curious how many of these were made and if any are still around (I'm guessing no). Would really like a Leicavit/Rapidwinder for my M2, but do not really want to convert it for a modern Leicavit and the original MP Leicavit are crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Curious how many of these were made and if any are still around (I'm guessing no). Would really like a Leicavit/Rapidwinder for my M2, but do not really want to convert it for a modern Leicavit and the original MP Leicavit are crazy expensive.

You would still have to get your M2 converted no matter what kind of winder (i think), better picking up a m42 or m4p and a rapidwinder.

Mr. Abrahamsson actually made a low number of Rapidwinders that fit the M2 with no modification. One version for the standard M2 and another to work with The reloadable Leica film cassettes.
http://rapidwinder.com/classic-and-m2-ixmoo-rapdiwinder

TomA kindly sold me one of his personal chrome M2 Rapidwinders back in the day, and I loved it. Then I eventually sold it on. I also had a black Rapidwinder on my M4-2 at the time. So some black ones did exist.

I have an M2 (silver) TomA Rapidwinder this is the sub-type which is IXMOO compatible, no conversion is required with Tom's model.

I understand total production of M2 models was around 400 in total with around 40 in black and with the IXMOO fitting around 80 in the wild with a set limit of that edition of 100 with Tom holding the balance as the IXMOO version is his personal favourite.

Chris is right insofar that the total production of non-IXMOO compatible M2 Rapdiwiders is 400. The Black version was around 40 - mostly a high gloss finish with a couple of matte black ones too. The IXMOO was always planned to be very limited. All in all there will be 100 or so, 80 are done and a couple of more are underway, with the balance done some time in the future. Unfortuantely I have some serious back issues at the moment and can't hang hang out over metal working machines. Painkillers help - but morphine and milling machines are not a good combination.

Chris is right insofar that the total production of non-IXMOO compatible M2 Rapdiwiders is 400. The Black version was around 40 - mostly a high gloss finish with a couple of matte black ones too. The IXMOO was always planned to be very limited. All in all there will be 100 or so, 80 are done and a couple of more are underway, with the balance done some time in the future. Unfortuantely I have some serious back issues at the moment and can't hang hang out over metal working machines. Painkillers help - but morphine and milling machines are not a good combination.

Sorry to hear, Mr.A. I wish you a speedy recovery. Are these items all reserved already? Or will be for sale first come?

L

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well Mr Abrahamsson. If you ever get around to finishing some I'd be interested in a black version.

Although some (ok most) things are more important than Rapidwinders, so here is to a healthy and happy 2017.

Lukas
2 of them are already reserved.
Happy 2017

Can't believe this was just a week ago...I hope I can find a Black M2 Rapidwinder someday so a part of Tom can continue to photograph for eternity. Condolences to his family and friends, I only had the pleasure of talking with Mr. A through this forum but it was always a treat.

We all miss Tom dearly. :(

I too hope to come across an M2 rapidwinder. I just wasn't in a position to purchase one of them when he was making them......if that was even possible. Seems like they were all "spoken for" even as they were being made.

Think any are out there now?

You mean the IXMOO M2 rapidwinders?
Year they do pop up every once in a while in forums or the big auction site. They’re pretty rare in chrome, like I see them once a year maybe. Almost impossible to find in black, I’ve been looking for one for years.

Back