Black Screen (Numbered) after shooting

Malich O.

Local time
10:25 AM
Dear all,

Hi! Last year I was a daily visitor of this forum and it was you guys (writing the good, bad and ugly of the M8) who convinced me to buy an M8. I did so last July and have had no trouble since recently. Now, I don't shoot that much, but have been very, very pleased with the camera. (I even bought a second lense! And plan to buy a third...)

Anyways, I was shooting one afternoon and everything was find. Periodically I was checking my shots on the screen. I kept on shooting and suddenly, when I shot, the preview appeared completely black (and numbered) on the screen - as if the camera had recorded a shot. (No, I didn't have the lens cap on.) I checked the previous shots and had several black ones (all numbered)...then all the previous, previous ones (of the same shoot) where fine. I had a low bat and thought it was that, so I turned it off. I charged the battery and a few days later I tried again. Same problem: I shot; the screen would appear black (and numbered). I changed cards and lenses. I turned it off and on again. I turned it off, took battery out and put it back in, turned it on. I tried a different card. Nothing. I reformated card. Nothing. I checked on a few Leica forums on the Web and found no solution. Please help.

Thanking you in advance,

Luis

P.S. If this problem had already a thread I did not find it and I apologize. That said, I'd appreciate it if anybody could direct me to it... or, as I mentioned before: Please help.

It isn't clear, are the photos recording on the card (i.e. can you see them in your computer) and just not appearing on the LCD in review, or are you getting blank files ? Either way, since you've tried a new battery and a different card, it does sound unfortunately like repair time. If it's just the LCD at least you could keep using the camera until it's convenient for you to let it go to Germany for a few months. Sorry for your bad fortune. I also got my M8 in July, and every time I use it I wonder if this will be the time it will break. I never felt that way about a camera before. Maybe it's because I always had a similar camera as a spare before, but I don't feel like spending another several thousand for a second M8 to back-up this one.

Dear Luis,

Funnily enough this happened to me yesterday. I assumed it was a manual WB shot and thought no more about it. I'll have to see if it happens again.

Cheers,

R.

I had this problem. Charged the batery, formated the card again, left the camera without battery for some time. Now it works perfecty. Do not nowwhat went wrong and what made it work again, but it is ok

Thanks for feedback (written so far...)

Thanks for feedback (written so far...)

I appreciate the posts you all have made.

Nahum, I am recharging my battery and crossing my fingers.

Ben, I'll try downloading the "black" pics tomorrow and will let y'all know if they do appear on the Mac. I hadn't thought of that!

Ed, I do hope you are wrong. But... then again, I've read so many sad stories in this forum...

So... in trying it all... I've also emailed Leica (NJ)... see what happens. I used to live in NYC but now am far away in Honduras, Central America, which makes it hard for me to visit the shop I bought it at... or send it safely up north...

Anyways, like I said before, thanks!

Oh... and if anybody else out there has had to deal with this problem or knows something about it, please share info.

Luis

left the camera without battery for some time.

You would have to leave the camera for more than a month (I forgot how long it says in the manual) for the internal battery to discharge and do a complete reset. I've read that leaving the battery in, turning the camera on and disabling the sleep mode (and maybe leaving a picture up on the LCD too, I forget) will discharge everything in a matter of a few days (again, forgot how many). It might be worth a try if nothing else works. Sometimes computers (and that's what the M8 and every other digital camera is) get corrupted and need what I like to refer to as an E-nema :D

Update

Update

So... I downloaded the shots and all I got was blackness. :(
I updated the software (which I should've done a while ago) and, while apparenlty succesful, it did not help my problem.

Leica emailed me back and suggested I send it in to NJ. From Honduras? Man, I'm bummed. But looks like I have no choice in the matter. Will post back up any relevant info once I hear from them or get the camera back. Maybe this isn't a one camera thing and it might help others...

Cheers,

I would suggest you send it to Solms directly. That will save you at least a month downtime.

Has this problem been resolved?
What was the cause of the issue?
How did the repair, shipping, cost take over go?

Back