Black SP Serial Numbers

Muju79

http://muju.tumblr.com/
Local time
7:44 AM
Hi,

I am looking for information about a black SP with S/N 6216146.

Does anyone know if this number corresponds to an original black body?

Thank you in advance!

That s/n doesn't fall within a known batch of black paint SPs. Mostly likely its a repaint (though quite a good one judging by the photos).

Thanks for checking!
Haha I can see you've easily found the source ;)

No worries. Yep, didn't take long to find it ;)

Would be interesting to see what others here think of the paint job, so I'll post a few photos. To me, the brassing looks too perfect. Like pre-worn jeans :rolleyes:

Also, the frame counter cover with six concentric rings is a mismatch for the serial number. There should only be three concentric rings. This one belongs on a much later SP or F. I expect a more trained eye than mine will spot more out of place things.

The seller isn't claiming its an original black paint SP, so caveat emptor I suppose.

35186432652_50ff682178_b.jpg

34510198024_b6a88537bd_b.jpg

35186433192_584ab0bc81_b.jpg

35353853085_8ce90c6e81_b.jpg

The back is correct, the self timer too. The top dials look correct.
The cover for the counter is OK, I believe they can be either by mid production.
More important is the red index dot, it looks good in the picture.

The serial number does not fall in known batches. However, there are one-off cameras known like that.

But, how can one tell by looking at pictures with controlled lighting?

Soooooo, I asked Bob!

Here is his response:

Number not good.
6216134 chrome
6216161 fake black
6216195 chrome
6216199 chrome.....etc. looks like a fake as it does not fit in anywhere.

So, most probably it's repainted.

BTW, where did you find it? I looked at Yahoo Japan Auctions, I sure couldn't find it.
How much is it?

The brassing IMHO is too uniform and even, it just looks fake. There are no corresponding marks, wear or scratches that you would expect to see on the black paint with that amount of natural brassing wear. Same for the lens mount, genuine looking wear not in line with the unbrassed black and the white engravings are too clean to go with the purported wear. Yet those back rivets look real maybe a genuine back, Olympic would fit?

If it is being priced and sold as a painted formerly chrome SP then it would not be too bad of a deal, as it is a good looking camera, one of the most handsome ever made in my opinion.

If it is being priced and sold as a painted formerly chrome SP then it would not be too bad of a deal, as it is a good looking camera, one of the most handsome ever made in my opinion.

Its being sold as a "rare black paint SP". There's no mention of it being original or repainted.

Back