Black vertical line

Nigel Meaby

Well-known
Local time
2:10 AM
Is this the vertical banding problem? I took this last night at 1250 iso under artificial light at f2 with a 35mm konica hexanon, uncoded. I've taken some pictures today of a blank wall in natural light and there are no lines. Does this problem only occur under certain lighting conditions? The line is just in front of the girl. Try to concentrate on the line and not her cleavage. Believe me there were 16 of us at the table and we all had trouble concentrating on our meals!

Attachments

• L1010015.DNGw.jpg
    L1010015.DNGw.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nigel,

I think your camera will have to go back to Leica to fix this. Several examples have been reported over on the LUF.

Jeff

I have no problem concentrating, I'm not into blue-faced ladies :D.
It may well be a dead pixel line. Try the camera at ISO 1250 and 2500. If it was an one-off I would not worry unless it showed up again. Then it is a matter for Solms to fix.

Nigel,

Verify with other ISO's.
Enlarge your JPEG files (converted from DNG) to determine that the line is in the same place in each and every photo.
What will help you to see the line is by shooting a blank "pale" surface while having the lens "out of focus" (i.e. stand about 3 feet from a white wall and have the lens set at infinity).

Take a look at my previous thread in this same child forum for confirmation - you're likely going to have to send it in - I had mine for all of 2 weeks and it's already gone back.

Dave

Another test picture

Another test picture

Ok I've just taken another one, again with artificial light sources. One being a spot light on the left of the frame (cropped out) I shot this at 2500 iso and this time I have two lines (It's mutating!!:eek:) Attached is a crop from the right side of the frame which is the same side as the last picture. The lines seem to start from a "bright" spot/pixel?

Attachments

• L1010030crop.jpg
    L1010030crop.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Nigel,

I can barely see it on this crappy monitor.
I think it's possible to have 2 lines - I'm pretty sure my sensor may have had 2 but I definitely saw one for sure.

The end result is, I sent mine back to Leica to either a) get a new camera or b) get it fixed so that this doesn't happen.

The phenomenon is pretty well documented - if you go over to the Leica User Forum and head into the Leica M8 forum under the "Digital" forum you can search for "vertical line" and it will bring back a number of items.

Each of the issues could only be solved by Leica themselves.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58242

There are links in there to the Leica Forum threads I mentioned.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave
Yeah I did have a look at a couple of threads over there last night. Seems to be the same problem. In a way I'm glad I was able to achieve the same results again so easily. It's consistent and not a one-off. I have the choice of getting a complete refund from the shop or getting it sent off under warranty to be looked at. I'm going to sleep on it and contact Jonathan Harris (The Dealer) in the morning. I really need a camera I can trust and depend on. Maybe like someone wrote on your thread, I should wait for an M9 or until all the problems have been ironed out once and for all. Time to defrost the Acros!:D

Thanks Dave
Yeah I did have a look at a couple of threads over there last night. Seems to be the same problem. In a way I'm glad I was able to achieve the same results again so easily. It's consistent and not a one-off. I have the choice of getting a complete refund from the shop or getting it sent off under warranty to be looked at. I'm going to sleep on it and contact Jonathan Harris (The Dealer) in the morning. I really need a camera I can trust and depend on. Maybe like someone wrote on your thread, I should wait for an M9 or until all the problems have been ironed out once and for all. Time to defrost the Acros!:D

ya Nigel.

If you're using the camera in a professional capacity then that's something to consider.

I, personally, am not using it in such a way.. yet... so I don't mind doing the "long wait" for Leica to repair it under warranty.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Good eyes, Alan!

I've just zoomed in on the original and seen it. Didn't notice it before. I guess the blue "jumped out" at me and I missed it

Back