Konica LTM Bokeh comparison of the Konica 35/2 UC LTM and the Leica 35 Summicron ASPH

Konica M39 lenses

awilder

Alan Wilder
Local time
9:47 PM
After recently purchasing the Konica 35/2 UC, I compared it to my 35 Summicron ASPH. and was surprised to find a virtually identical fingerprint in terms of bokeh. Unfortunately, I no longer have the pre-ASPH. version for comparison, but I strongly suspect it differs in bokeh from these lenses in that there is less blur in the OOF regions. The pre-ASPH. v4 was known as the "King of Bokeh" because "it's coherence of OOF imaging can trick the eye into seeing greater sharpness than exists" (after John Kennerdell, Photo Techniques, May/June 1997). Anyway, here are some images. The first two are at f/2.4, ASPH on the left and UC on the right. Slight color differences are due to changing sunlight.

Attachments

• 'cron-f2.4.jpg
    'cron-f2.4.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1
  • UC-f2.4.jpg
    UC-f2.4.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Next two are at f/2. The ASPH. on the left and the UC on the right. Color differences are mainly due to the rapidly changing nature of light from the sun setting.

Attachments

• 'cron-f2.jpg
    'cron-f2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1
  • UC-f2.jpg
    UC-f2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Lastly, shots at f/4, left is the ASPH. and right is the UC. Again, the color differences are mainly a factor of changing light.

Attachments

• 'cron-4.jpg
    'cron-4.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • UC-f4.jpg
    UC-f4.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
Just a comment... in the shots at f2, I can see the slatting of the shed walls on the Hexanon shot, but it's mulched into the bokeh on the asph.

You are correct about the f/2 shot. Actually, the large OOF area to the left of the tree is the brickwork on the side of my neighbors house. The lighter mortar, especially in the vetrical direction, stands out more with the UC compared with the softer OOF quality of the ASPH. This surprised me initially because I expected the UC to have the softer bokeh. I think it may have to do with the ASPH. correction being so good that more light rays are brought into focus at it's focal plane.

Last edited:
The differences in lighting between each shot make this hard to assess, but after taking a closer look, I can't believe I like the 35 ASPH better.

I tend to agree about the Summicron ASPH. OOF quality. The difference is subtle but it seems a just little softer than the Hexanon UC.

I'm glad to see the more than twice as much Asph also displays some double lines. :) I was not familiar with this phenomenon until member ferider pointed it out in the other UC thread. In the F2 shots, in the top left corner of pic, it is more apparent than the UC.

I am thrilled with the results from mine, not only visually but ergonomically too. I may even get used to the tab, so very well built are they. I'm surprised to see one still available from Matsuyiastore. I would think the M8 owners in particular would be all over these.

galavanter said:
I'm surprised to see one still available from Matsuyiastore.
They must have cornered the world's supply of them, then decided to release them one-at-a-time to keep the price/interest level up. (Which seems to have worked.) They must have sold at least 10 recently (mine is #991).

...Mike

Thanks a lot for the comparison.

galavanter said:
I'm glad to see the more than twice as much Asph also displays some double lines. :) I was not familiar with this phenomenon until member ferider pointed it out in the other UC thread. In the F2 shots, in the top left corner of pic, it is more apparent than the UC.

I agree and I like the UC better.

Branches and leaves in the background are the most difficult OOF subjects ...

Best,

Roland.

I like the 35 asph better too, the over all image is better as well, things seem pretty tidy with that lens, one that I hope soon to add to my working bag.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anymore bokeh comparisons as I just sold the Summicron ASPH being sufficiently satisfied with the UC. Sharpness is better than I expected. Sharpness is much closer to the aspheric version than the pre-aspheric v4. I really liked the UC's size and build quality.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting finding for people who are considering buying either of these two 35mm lenses. The cost difference is not small. Right?

Raid

I paid $850 w/ used M adapter. The Summicron ASPH. goes for typically around $1300 in nice condition used. The biggest advantage of the Summicron is better corner sharpness and close focus a little below 0.7m vs. exactly 0.9m on the Hexanon UC. I also prefer the Summicron's hood design because it's more compact, rectangular and has it's own cap. The UC has the larger round vented style which dwarfs the tiny lens when attached.

Last edited:
If your camera inventory supports both mounts and the wee Konica lens is less expensive.......

You don't have to be smarter than a 5th grader! Hurry up USPS!

Back