Boldly going where I would go.

Louisianaman

Local time
5:21 PM
Feeling very un-smart. Got my new(to me) Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm to use on my Canon 7. My first mistake was buying the lens and then asking a lot of questions y'all kindly answered. I realized it would be a challenge without a viewfinder. No big deal because I can center the image and use my peripheral vision thanks for that advice but when I screwed it on, the focus doesn't work. As a seasoned photographer I just figure most images are at infinity but I'm just guessing. Can y'all help me or do I need to list this lens for sale? I got a Canon 35 2 8, you'd think that and the 50 would be enough???

Need to hear more about why the focus doesn't work. You mean your pictures are out of focus?

I don't imagine your 35 is wide enough for you, not if you felt the need for a 15. However, going from 35 to 15 with nothing in between is a big step! A 24 or 25mm is nicely spaced from 35mm. And you can shoot a 25mm using your 35mm finder, with a little judgment.

If I recall correctly, the M39 mount SW Heliar is uncoupled, so use scale focus.
Unless you are meaning the focus ring doesn't turn? If something like that is happening, return the lens immediately.

Phil Forrest

Is it? I have a CV 25mm that is uncoupled. The CV 15mm I had was coupled.

Was your 15mm M mount or LTM (screwmount?) The original LTM versions of the CV 15mm were scale focus only. OP's camera is a Canon, so the lens would be LTM.

Phil Forrest

If I recall correctly, the M39 mount SW Heliar is uncoupled, so use scale focus.
Unless you are meaning the focus ring doesn't turn? If something like that is happening, return the lens immediately.

Phil Forrest

Exactly what I was thinking because after like 4.7 feet everything is infinity.

Was your 15mm M mount or LTM (screwmount?) The original LTM versions of the CV 15mm were scale focus only. OP's camera is a Canon, so the lens would be LTM.

Phil Forrest

Screw mount. Another agreed with me to just use the scale. Anything after like 4 7 is infinity so hopefully I'm good.

Need to hear more about why the focus doesn't work. You mean your pictures are out of focus?

I don't imagine your 35 is wide enough for you, not if you felt the need for a 15. However, going from 35 to 15 with nothing in between is a big step! A 24 or 25mm is nicely spaced from 35mm. And you can shoot a 25mm using your 35mm finder, with a little judgment.

Grateful my brother. I may become a star photographer learning to master this lens and camera. It may well become a movement. Imma give it hell.

I mean the rangefinder isn't working.

Phil Forrest

No sir focus ring turns smoothly and the lens is awesome it's just something I'd play with.

Back