Book Club #1

Rafael

Mandlerian
Local time
10:28 AM
OK, it does not look as though we have any more votes coming in. So the first book chosen for the RFF book club is "On Being A Photographer" by David Hurn and Bill Jay.

We will give ourselves two weeks to get and read the book. So discussions will begin on Wednesday, July 4th. Happy reading.

There appears to be a copy of the book for sale HERE. Apparently Amazon is back ordered. If people need more than two weeks to get a hold of the book, we can always push back our start date by a week or so. I will be without internet access for about a week and a half. Let's see where things stand when I get back.

How are people doing at getting their hands on a copy of "On Being A Photographer"? My copy still has not arrived in the mail. If a lot of you are in a similar situation, I am thinking that we may want to push back the start of our discussion by a week. What do you think?

Got mine

Got mine

Ordered from Lensworks, promptly delivered, suckered me into a subscription to their mag also. About half way through the book; it's a pretty quick read.
LJS

Got mine. As LJS said, it's a pretty quick read. However, I certainly understand postponing the discussion until enough folks have had a chance to get and read the book (else what's to discuss, right?).

-Randy

Great book. I'm on my third read. Had it for over a year now. A great one to pick up, open anywhere and just start reading. An inspiration and helps to keep things in perspective along with a lot of reminders of what it's really all about (if you want to be good that is).

OK then, if nobody has any objections, let's push our start date back one week to Wednesday, July 11th. Hopefully, everyone who wants to participate in the book club will have the book by then.

My copy just showed up in the mail. So, including myself, we now have four peopled confirmed as ready to go.

Last edited:
Not to worry Gregg, we have pushed the start date back by one week so as to ensure that all those who want to participate have the time to get and read the book.

We will begin the book discussion tomorrow as planned. I will be out all day and won't be able to post until the evening. But others should go ahead and post if they feel so inclined. I look forward to reading all of your thoughts on "On Being a Photographer." Until tomorrow.

OK, let's get this discussion underway.

I enjoyed this book. This was my first time reading it. In fact, I was not aware of its existence until it was chosen here. Certainly, some of the book's sections (especially those on digital imaging) are a bit dated. However, on the whole, I found this book to be a very thought-provoking read. My initial reaction to many of the ideas was that they were somewhat obvious. But upon reflection on my own photography, I found that I do not always put these seeming "obvious ideas" into practice. So reading this book did cause me to engage in a great deal of critical reflection upon my own photography. And in that regard, I think it was very successful.

I have quite a few reactions to the book. I will save most of them until others have had a chance to make initial comments. For now, let me highlight two ideas that jumped out at me. Firstly, I was struck by the statement that "personal vision comes only from not aiming at it." It seems to me that all serious photographers strive to develop some sort of personal vision. I certainly do. And yet, Hurn's counterintuitive statement about developing a personal vision really resonates with me.

Secondly, I am very interested in the suggestion that those photographers who tend to photograph people also tend to be shy individuals. I certainly fit this pattern. I wonder how many of you do as well.

Ok, those are my initial reactions to this book. What did the rest of you think of it?

I found the book thought provoking. I have aways ejoyed shooting anything of interest to me, however after reading this book I found myself thinking about the photos I have taken that I really enjoyed capturing, whether they were prize winners or not. The idea of really finding your niche so to speak and expolring it. This might seem a common thought however when I peruze peoples photos on different sites I realize this idea of focusing on a type of photography can really enhance ones skills. Composition is a good example, if you pay carefull attention to elderly men, say, and photograph them often one must learn more about the subject and eventually produce a more meaningful shot.

I am also a shy person, and I do like to photograph people. It's almost as if you know how much you don't like your picture taken, yet want to inflict it on others! Sort of like: "Ewww, this smells horrible........here smell it"!

Great book and fascinating man, thanks. I am looking forward to the next book!

I was particularly struck by the notion that a photographer should practice his craft as any other performing artist must. The idea of having to shoot, without necessarily having a goal in mind, on a nearly daily basis had certainly never crossed my mind. Now I do take probably more than my share of random "pics" which just look like they might be good but are not thought out beforehand, but I don't think this is at all what was intended to be practicing. I look forward to trying the practicing idea out, but very importantly, thinking about and planning what I am trying to accomplish that day. I think the discipline will be an important part of the endeavor. Now, if I can only follow through, perhaps I too my someday become a decent photographer, as opposed to my current state which more closely approximates a hack.
Best to all, hope you are enjoying the book and the discussion as much as I am.
Larry

I use this book as a text for my college level Documentary Photography class. One of the things I really like about the book is the way Hurn draws a distinction between the professional shooter and the hobby shooter. Afterall, with virtually everbody owning a camera, what is it that separates a professional from the rest of the herd? The ability to take interesting pictures consistently. He is also right about trying to force a style upon yourself. Style can only be genuine (and it shows in your pictures) if it springs from someplace that is personal. To be calculating about style is what leads to cliche and junk. I also chuckle every time I read Hurn's swipe at Sebastio Salgado and his camera bags.

John Rountree said:
One of the things I really like about the book is the way Hurn draws a distinction between the professional shooter and the hobby shooter. Afterall, with virtually everbody owning a camera, what is it that separates a professional from the rest of the herd? The ability to take interesting pictures consistently.

This question has become particularly pertinent with the wide availability of high mp consumer dslrs. More and more these days, clients seem to be buying a dslr as opposed to hiring a pro. There seems to be a feeling that with an 8 or 10 megapixel camera, "someone in the office will certainly be able to take the needed photographs." And, in the end, buying a dslr will be cheaper than hiring a pro.

Personally, I doubt that this trend will last precisely because of the reasons given by Hurn.

Okay, I'm going to throw a different opinion in here. While I too found the book interesting and thought-provoking, and well worth the read, I personally thought some of Hurn's prescriptions were a bit didactic. Maybe it's more accurate to say that they only apply to a certain type of photographer. Specifically, his assertion that photographers should concentrate on a subject, learn everything about it, and keep shooting it. I think that applies to documentary photographers, people who want to do a project about a certain topic, but maybe not to every photographer. Yet he seemed, to me, to present this as the only way to be a photographer.

Am I the only one who thinks that's too limiting? Perhaps my reaction is a bit defensive. But I am not sure I agree in general with Hurn's contention that photography is about transmitting the photographer's truth about a particular subject. Sometimes photography can be enough if it makes or captures something beautiful or visually arresting. At least to me.

Of course, I'm not a professional, and it's not a job or an assignment for me, and that's what I like about it. I probably would feel differently if I wanted to earn my living as a photographer. I would say, of course, find a subject, learn about it and shoot that constantly. But as it is, I felt that, in this area, he didn't really draw a distinction between professional documentary photographers and all photographers. And there's a part of me saying, but not even every professional takes pictures that way.

-Laura

P.S. -- Hurn's specific point of view didn't wreck the book or anything for me. I am going to try to incorporate some of his ideas, like daaris said. I thought the last chapter was particularly helpful. For me, the absolute best part was them saying, steal from other photographers, learn from the best. That felt very freeing, as opposed to prescriptive or limiting.

Back