Border Control: a new short story

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
3:39 PM
Set in a post Brexit Britain. Next up on the .eu site will however be another photography piece (as was the previous one, about a scrap Linhof).

Surprisingly few people realize that there have been two Anglo-Cornish wars since the late 15th century, and that Cornish armies invaded England. The first time we got as far as London; the second, only as far as Exeter.

The English, of course, label both as "rebellions". But when an army invades your country, calling it a mere rebellion smacks of trying to minimize something more serious.

Cheers,

R.

If there is a Cornish Passport is it that hard to go to Germany on it? If you want to work in Germany from what we hear here anyone can come in and work even without a passport.

If there is a Cornish Passport is it that hard to go to Germany on it? If you want to work in Germany from what we hear here anyone can come in and work even without a passport.
From whom are you getting this information? Because it's basically nonsense. Also, there is not (yet) a Cornish passport, not least because Brexit hasn't happened yet - if, of course, it ever does. That's somewhat the point of the story.

Cheers,

R.

That's due to your primary school teachers having you sing "With a good sword and a trusty hand"....
Celtic romanticism at it's finest. The Southwest was conquered finally in 1685, the Union made irrevocable by the Saltash bridge

That's due to your primary school teachers having you sing "With a good sword and a trusty hand"....
Celtic romanticism at it's finest. The Southwest was conquered finally in 1685, the Union made irrevocable by the Saltash bridge
But wait for Brexit... Balkanization beckons. I'm not advocating it: I'm just postulating it as a possibility.

And no, I never sang that at primary school. My mother taught me.

Cheers,

R.

Then why was this guy wetting his bed over a EU passport?

Two friends of mine, one Turk and the other Croatian, both found it very easy to work in Germany and that was before EU.

Then why was this guy wetting his bed over a EU passport?

Two friends of mine, one Turk and the other Croatian, both found it very easy to work in Germany and that was before EU.
Never mind. You're missing the point. It's a STORY! Set in a (possible, fairly near) future, and not in the past, less still a pre-EU past. The world changes. Have you ever heard of science fiction?

Cheers,

R.

I used to read it but it was always wrong, sorry. It was clever about the city states and regional identities. We have a few city states in the US now; not the future.

Roger, I enjoyed reading your story, thank you! The final statement about Brexit doesn't really fit in. I fully understand that you want to voice your frustration about that, but I think it could be even better if it was less politically charged (although I largely agree with your politics).

charjohncarter, before the EU there were labour shortages in Germany, and guest workers brought in through contracts between the respective countries. Today, EU citizens can live and work in any EU country (with some exceptions). Non-EU citizens cannot work easily, although it depends on country of origin and qualification.
I don't get what city-states you're talking about, Roger's story doesn't have any, and the US, to my knowledge, just one?

Roger, I've been reading more on your excellent website, and something that bothered me, beside the work I should be doing, was the low contrast between the text and background. Just an observation.

"The “will of the people” isn't always what people even really want, never mind what's actually best for them"- that was good...(and proved so many times). Fun reading...

Roger, I've been reading more on your excellent website, and something that bothered me, beside the work I should be doing, was the low contrast between the text and background. Just an observation.
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I don't like the lack of contrast either. I'll have to see if they can tell me how to change it.

Cheers,

R.

Roger, I enjoyed reading your story, thank you! The final statement about Brexit doesn't really fit in. I fully understand that you want to voice your frustration about that, but I think it could be even better if it was less politically charged (although I largely agree with your politics).

charjohncarter, before the EU there were labour shortages in Germany, and guest workers brought in through contracts between the respective countries. Today, EU citizens can live and work in any EU country (with some exceptions). Non-EU citizens cannot work easily, although it depends on country of origin and qualification.
I don't get what city-states you're talking about, Roger's story doesn't have any, and the US, to my knowledge, just one?
Given that it turns on Brexit, though -- the reason for Balkanization -- I find it hard how to see how else to end it. She has to realize her mistake somehow, and comfort him.

As for the second para, yes, I was a bit confused about the American "city-states" too. In fact, technically even DC is not a city-state, 'cos it ain't a state. Then again, on another thread charjohncarter appeared to conflate universal basic income (UBI) with unemployment benefit and welfare.

He seems however blessed (or cursed) with an uncommon degree of certainty about what the future holds. I love the idea of science fiction being "wrong". I'm just re-reading (for the first time in about 50 years) The Weapon Shops of Isher, set thousands of years in the future. As are indeed the Stainless Steel Rat books.

Cheers,

R.

It is much harder to find work as a illegal immigrant in Germany than in the US. By percentage, illegal employment in Germany (an estimated 600.000) is negligible compared to the 11 Million in the US.

It is arguably easier to enter Germany at a official border without papers (something plain impossible in the US), as the German legal system grants admission regardless of the state of your papers, provided that you plausibly apply for asylum at the border - but the asylum process will leave you stuck for years in some assigned district (and camp), without a work permit (and with - see above - little to no opportunities for illegal employment).

It is much harder to find work as a illegal immigrant in Germany than in the US. By percentage, illegal employment in Germany (an estimated 600.000) is negligible compared to the 11 Million in the US.

It is arguably easier to enter Germany at a official border without papers (something plain impossible in the US), as the German legal system grants admission regardless of the state of your papers, provided that you plausibly apply for asylum at the border - but the asylum process will leave you stuck for years in some assigned district (and camp), without a work permit (and with - see above - little to no opportunities for illegal employment).
You and your damned FACTS! What's wrong with good, old-fashioned, uninformed prejudice?

Cheers,

R.

Given that it turns on Brexit, though -- the reason for Balkanization -- I find it hard how to see how else to end it. She has to realize her mistake somehow, and comfort him.

As for the second para, yes, I was a bit confused about the American "city-states" too. In fact, technically even DC is not a city-state, 'cos it ain't a state. Then again, on another thread charjohncarter appeared to conflate universal basic income (UBI) with unemployment benefit and welfare.

He seems however blessed (or cursed) with an uncommon degree of certainty about what the future holds. I love the idea of science fiction being "wrong". I'm just re-reading (for the first time in about 50 years) The Weapon Shops of Isher, set thousands of years in the future. As are indeed the Stainless Steel Rat books.

Cheers,

R.

Oh, I didn't read it as Balkanizition as much as a regionalist/communitarian utopia. All a matter or perspective or preconceptions I suppose. Not a lot of negativ things about what happened after Brexit outside of the rump state England in your story to make me think of Balkanization. It doesn't seem too plausible to me that much after Brexit, having voted for or against it would be considered a huge dividing line. Why would she even be sure that the protagonist didn't vote for Brexit himself?

Right, I had heard before, but forgotten that D.C. isn't a state at all. Although de facto in many ways it is. Still not a sovereign state of course, which your story talks about.

Yeah, I love that fun fact about science fiction, too! Will look into the books you mentioned, don't know them.

For this reader at least, there is no reason for Roger to write this story if that last sentence on Brexit was not included.

Tin

R.

San Francisco, Chicago, LA have all but seceded from the Union. They just don't obey the federal law. But of course the want the money from the feds for dole (UBI).

San Francisco, Chicago, LA have all but seceded from the Union. They just don't obey the federal law. But of course the want the money from the feds for dole (UBI).
UBI is quite different to a "dole" (traditionally an unemployment benefit). The UBI has no employment tests or time limits. It is paid as a right, to every citizen.

Back