Bottom Plate of M8 just like other M's

I know ;) Leica ist Deustche, neine? Or is it "nein"? Ich kein sprech Deustche. Or is it "nicht"

Bah. Inglés es complicado tal y como es, de por sí.

Last edited:
Detachable baseplates for changing memory cards - I mean this is the 21st century, we should be able to design a lid now, as well as to understand that ergonomics are about realizing that your users aren't Indian goddesses with three arms. VIDOM - obviously screwmount Leicas weren't meant to take upright pictures, while Contaxes were. And, for this I'm going to get flamed, but anyway: Visoflex - why the whole idea of constructing a bulky and awkward mirror box outside a rangefinder camera? why not develop a proper SLR instead? especially since you're going to do it anyway a few years down the road.

Other way round: M5 - Revolutionary design considered idiotic.

Last edited:
OK, that's a good point, but by the same token we could argue that it's also very non-21st century to have a manual-focus non-SLR camera. Or a car that is not solar powered.

I hate SUVs; they are retrograde, psychologically-exploing cash cows; there are better, safer, 21st Century car designs. I'm not going to turn purple at every single one I see on the road, much less at one that hasn't been rolled out for sale yet. Actually, I could make a case that they are really bad for all of us.

But that's dumb and futile. I just won't purchase one.

I could argue that a motorcycle is a dumb choice of vehicle because it won't protect me from the rain, is very unsafe, and some would even argue is terrible for your hair. Why not an ATV?

We can make arguments about how stupid anything is about *anything*. If it's not for you, it's not for you. That's why I'm switching toothpastes.

I'll second Philipp's remarks. A removable baseplate is a sop to Leicaphiles who would/will rebel if the Digi-M were not "just like" an M6/M7. Small, secure hatch doors on the camera base would make much more sense ergonomically. And there's no need to remove the baseplate for electrical contacts -- look at any Leica R.

Silly.

rs

I don't think so.
A removable baseplate allows for a baseplate with incorporated grip and easy upgrade (or repairs) of electronic components.

Relax. I'm sure there will soon be an accessory replacement Quick-Reload base plate with hatches for the important stuff available. It will only cost a few hundred.. :cool:

Cheers,

Anders

rxmd said:
Other way round: M5 - Revolutionary design considered idiotic.
You know, I like the M5 a lot. It's a really really nice camera. The only problem I see with it? The sensor arm. I'm afraid that if I drop that thing, the arm's kaput.

I considered the M5 before I went for the M6. The meter dial alignment is wonderful. Also think about the generation that was around (and prevalent, they had the money, percentage-wise) when the M5 came up :rolleyes: Still pops up at Pnut.

The only reason I'd buy a half-case is because it makes you look more like a tourist, which can be good, in some circumstances. I don't have any trouble gripping an M7, and I don't use the film advance as a grip or a thumb-reminder, so I don't think I'll have any problems with the M8. Also, with a 2-gig memory card you should be able to get 100 RAW shots, and if you shoot high-res jpg, twice that many (more or less.) So, the bottom plate is okay. With My D2x, you have to pull one corner off to replace the battery, and it's a matter of ten seconds. The other thing is, when you shoot film, you shoot film -- you can't go back. When I shoot digital, I chimp, and get rid of maybe two-thirds of the shots on the spot, so 100 shots on a card might be 300 shots actually taken. Sean Reid has hinted on another forum, although only indirectly because of his NDA, that a grip maybe be possible...any maybe already here.

One M8 accessory that I would really like to see is a clip that would hook into the o-ring that goes through the camera-strap lug, and then attach to the o-ring on the bottom of a Gordy's strap or a shoulder strap. You'd then have two o-rings, but if they were small, and if there was some kind of rubberized tube (like a surgical rubber tube) that pulled down over the ringers and the clip, it'd be pretty neat. Anyway, it'd be nice to be able to go quickly (five seconds) from a shoulder strap to a hand strap.

Hmmm. Now that I've explained it all, maybe I'll hit a hardware store and see if I can work one out...

JC

Last edited:
endustry said:
I agree. They already put the LCD on the back with no way to hide it (ala the R-D1), why bother adding a baseplate just to cover up slots and hatches?
One advantage of the removeable base plate is that the tri-pod socket is contained in the plate, so if you get an extra long tri-pod screw it wont be digging into the tender innards of the camera. There was a report of this with the DMR on the Leica user forum.
Bob

Mark Norton said:
I think it's great they've retained the removeable base-plate. Far netter than extra hatches like in the D2.

Hear hear! :)

Had Leica added more hatches and lids on the back there would had been an equal (or more rather) amount of people crying out about how that made it harder to hold, ruined the ergonomics and look. I think retaining the removeable base-plate is genius and applaud Leica for it!

ill bet you at least one good thing will come of the baseplate:

i bet you can hide a couple sd cards in there, quite conveniently i may add

Well folks, Leica already has an accessary base plate with a tubular grip built in. For those of us that want direct access to the battery for quick change, the thought of milling a slot becomes a possibility. Quick access to the SD compartment is not really needed since a 4 GB card will hold almost 400 RAW files. That enough for the longest day of shooting I have ever had. On the other hand, I'll bet the batteries will need replacement every 100 shots or so as I am a heavy chimper

Rex

Rich Silfver said:
I think retaining the removeable base-plate is genius
Case in point ;)

Nemo said:
A removable baseplate allows for a baseplate with incorporated grip and easy upgrade (or repairs) of electronic components.
Attachable grips seem to work just fine for any other camera out there.

Upgrading and repairs of electronics aren't done by end users anyway.
BobRoss said:
One advantage of the removeable base plate is that the tri-pod socket is contained in the plate, so if you get an extra long tri-pod screw it wont be digging into the tender innards of the camera.
The tripod mount is the same, whether you attach it to the baseplate or the camera body itself. If it digs through the tripod mount, (a) the tip lands in the camera innards either way, (b) the mount wasn't sturdy enough - it's the 21st century, we should know how to build a tripod socket by now, and in a 4200 EUR camera from a manufacturer such as Leica I can expect a little solid steel piece every now and then.

Back