Bourbon Street, New Orleans (E-PL1 Summilux 25mm)

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
10:13 PM
I took some photos in the French Quarter last Sunday. I had with me an Olympus E-PL1 and a Summilux 25mm 1.4. I will add more photos shortly.

Link:https://raid.smugmug.com/Summilux-25mm-14-E-PL/

25Lux--XL.jpg

25Lux--4-XL.jpg

25Lux--5-XL.jpg

25Lux--6-XL.jpg

25Lux--11-XL.jpg

25Lux--15-XL.jpg

25Lux--17-XL.jpg

25Lux--21-XL.jpg

It looks like it was a fairly quiet weekend raid, and Nola is always photogenic.
The Fall, the end of Oct to early Dec. and when the Saints are out of town, is the time I enjoyed it best.

Thank you, Rick. I had hardly any time to take photos or even to walk around there as I was met by professors from the moment that I arrived on Sunday and then until the moment I left NO on Monday. I had one hour here, close to my hotel.

I had also with me an E-P2 with a Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 in Rollei QBM mount. I used the software Perfect Effects 9 to render the color images as Kodak Tri-X 400 images. Here are the few photos that I have taken.

Sonnar50-%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--2%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--3%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--5%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--6%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--7%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--8%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--9%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--10%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--4%20copy-XL.jpg

Sonnar50--11%20copy-XL.jpg

I went back to the color images from the E-PL1 and the Summilux 25/1.4, and I de-saturated them with Perfect Effects 9 for "Kodak Tri-X 400" look. What do you think? Which images look better in your eyes?

25Lux--41%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--15%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--43%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--57%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--80%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--83%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--52%20copy-XL.jpg

25Lux--88%20copy-XL.jpg

It seems an interesting place. Love your colors experiment, post 2. They have a surreal look.
Love much the second to last photo in the last post. Interesting series.
robert

Hi Robert,
The French Quarter in New Orleans can be quite interesting for photography, both at daytime and at night. Thanks!

Nice photos, Raid! That EPL1 is still going strong! I've got that camera too but haven't used it in several years. I need to dust it off...

Very interesting. The converted B&W works well and in low light it can be useful to filter out casts and give a nod do classic TriX.
Nice photos, Raid! That EPL1 is still going strong! I've got that camera too but haven't used it in several years. I need to dust it off...
I have an EPL2 and thought about upgrading, but not having that much disposable income and really don't exploit it very much, I just postpone it. They really could make a special edition replica of mine because I "brassed" it nicely. Still goes strong.
Putting a nice MF lens brings a nice quality to it, my Zuiko 50 1.8 is sharper than the kit lenses and the sigma prime I have mounted; Only miss focus peaking to make the process of focusing more agile.

Travel related tips: Go to ACME Seafood around 10:30 AM to avoid the lines. Everything, and I do mean everything, is delicious, but the shrimp gumbo and bread pudding are fabulous. A Dixie beer (no Yankee comments about our flag or culture please) is the best way to chase this down.

Mother's is overrated, the food has slipped, and the place is not clean. But people have been saying this for many years. The Camellia Grill is still one of the best late nite places to eat, and 4AM is certainly the best time to visit the Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee.

Best late nite/early morning jazz is always at the Snug Harbor. It was kickin when we lived around the corner 45 years ago and still is. Avoid the buses, the streetcars are excellent transportation for both locals and tourists. As always, the best place to hear music or get a good meal are unique to this town. Anywhere! Sadly, the same cannot be said for the safety, so I would want to be staying either in the Quarter or down Canal St, where the street car will take you right to Canal and Bourbon.

Best underrated bars: the Royal Sonesta and the Monteleone Hotels. Those are fine hotels too, but not cheap. The further you are in the heart of the Quarter the safer you will be, and it will be a lot more convenient. I wonder if Airbnb has made any gifts for us travelers? If you are unsure if the area, spend more for a good area.

I like using the ED-PL1 and the E-P2 for light travel photography. Add an excellent lens and you have a great set.

Very interesting. The converted B&W works well and in low light it can be useful to filter out casts and give a nod do classic TriX.

I have an EPL2 and thought about upgrading, but not having that much disposable income and really don't exploit it very much, I just postpone it. They really could make a special edition replica of mine because I "brassed" it nicely. Still goes strong.
Putting a nice MF lens brings a nice quality to it, my Zuiko 50 1.8 is sharper than the kit lenses and the sigma prime I have mounted; Only miss focus peaking to make the process of focusing more agile.

I love using a 1938 Zeiss Sonnar ltm on these m 4/3 cameras.

Travel related tips: Go to ACME Seafood around 10:30 AM to avoid the lines. Everything, and I do mean everything, is delicious, but the shrimp gumbo and bread pudding are fabulous. A Dixie beer (no Yankee comments about our flag or culture please) is the best way to chase this down.

Mother's is overrated, the food has slipped, and the place is not clean. But people have been saying this for many years. The Camellia Grill is still one of the best late nite places to eat, and 4AM is certainly the best time to visit the Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee.

Best late nite/early morning jazz is always at the Snug Harbor. It was kickin when we lived around the corner 45 years ago and still is. Avoid the buses, the streetcars are excellent transportation for both locals and tourists. As always, the best place to hear music or get a good meal are unique to this town. Anywhere! Sadly, the same cannot be said for the safety, so I would want to be staying either in the Quarter or down Canal St, where the street car will take you right to Canal and Bourbon.

Best underrated bars: the Royal Sonesta and the Monteleone Hotels. Those are fine hotels too, but not cheap. The further you are in the heart of the Quarter the safer you will be, and it will be a lot more convenient. I wonder if Airbnb has made any gifts for us travelers? If you are unsure if the area, spend more for a good area.

I was staying at the Sonesta Royal Hotel (just one night).
Thanks for these tips.

Back