Braun Paxette versus Ricoh 519M

bmattock

Mentor
Local time
6:05 AM
Howdy, All!

I took some pictures today (I'm working in North Carolina this week, but the customer was closed for the holiday), had the film developed and scanned by Wal-Mart, and now I've put them online. Just some examples of what can be done with a pair of sub-$40 rangefinders from the 1950's. Also interesting (to me, at least) is the difference in contrast between German and Japanese lense of about the same vintage.

Hope you like them, let me know what you think! You can click on any thumbnail to see the larger image.

http://www.growlery.com/paxette-v-ricoh/

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

bill,
you did all of that today, in one day?

all of a sudden i feel like a slug.
i have about a hundred rolls of film hanging about my place from years past, just waiting to be developed.

joe

backalley photo said:
bill,
you did all of that today, in one day?

Sure, it just took a few hours, actually. Went out and took pictures - 2 hours. Dropped off film for processing - 1 hour. Made simple little website with pictures - 45 minutes.

Normally, it takes me a couple of days. If I have some really nice images that I want processed properly, it takes even longer. But this was just fooling around with old cameras, so Wal-Mart worked fine for me. They didn't even scratch up my negs the way some 1-hour places have in the past.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Made simple little website with pictures - 45 minutes.

you must know your stuff, i have dreamweaver 4 on my computer and have not been able to figure it out.
i know i need to take a class but have yet to do it.
45 minutes...i'm impressed.

joe

backalley photo said:
Made simple little website with pictures - 45 minutes.

you must know your stuff, i have dreamweaver 4 on my computer and have not been able to figure it out.
i know i need to take a class but have yet to do it.
45 minutes...i'm impressed.

joe

No, it's really not hard! I <i>can</i> write HTML code if my arm is twisted, JavaScript if someone pays me to do it, but in this case, I just fired up Microsoft FrontPage, drew some boxes, and pasted the photos in them. Then I ftp'd the whole mess to my webserver.

But my web design is strictly amateur-night, I'm no good at all. Being color-blind doesn't help, but others left me far behind in terms of capability a long time ago. What I did today was really simple stuff.

But thank you for the kind words!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Bill, the Braun 50mm produces a distinctly warmer rendition of the scene than the Ricoh... or could that simply be a difference in the way the prints were made?

Doug said:
Bill, the Braun 50mm produces a distinctly warmer rendition of the scene than the Ricoh... or could that simply be a difference in the way the prints were made?

Well, I used the same film, taken and developed at the same time and the same place, and the scans were from the negatives, also done at the same time and place. I suspect that the result you're seeing is real. What this means is anybody's guess, but I have heard that Japanese glass tends to offer more contrast, German glass is softer and perhaps warmer. This doesn't prove that, but interesting nonetheless!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Back