Breaking: Fujifilm X-E1 full press release

I've been watching Fuji for a while, thinking that soon I need to simplify my life (for the 7th time) and trade in my Nikon stuff for a nice APS-c sensored Fuji.

The numbers look like this to me (BHphoto):

X-Pro1 + 35mm/f1.4 = $2000
X-E1 + 35mm/f1.4 = $1600
X-E1 + zoom = $1400
X100 (35/f2.0) = $1200

Starting at the X100 . . . .
For an extra $200, I can move "up" to an interchangeable lens camera and (up?down?) to the convenience of a zoom.
For an extra $400, I can move "up" to an interchangeable lens camera and up to a faster prime lens.

Starting at the X-pro1 . . .
I can save myself $400 if I give up that very nice viewfinder (maybe some other stuff I am not up to speed on).

At the moment, I have to believe that this new camera is going to hurt X100 and Xpro1 sales.

Or is this my wishfull thinking that the price of the X100 is going to drop, to, say $800 :D

The x100 is the only leaf shutter in the set u mentioned, so it will always have a place for those wanting highest flash sync and quietest shutter... But I do expect x100 price to drop, not sure if the xe1 will be enough. I think 800 is pushing it though given the cost of the ovf..

Gary

Or is this my wishfull thinking that the price of the X100 is going to drop, to, say $800 :D

It's still the only way to get a fast 35mm equiv in a Fuji. The 23mm f/1.4 lens Fuji is making for the X-Pro1, etc will cost about $800 most likely (based on recent lens prices).

I've been watching Fuji for a while, thinking that soon I need to simplify my life (for the 7th time) and trade in my Nikon stuff for a nice APS-c sensored Fuji.

The numbers look like this to me (BHphoto):

X-Pro1 + 35mm/f1.4 = $2000
X-E1 + 35mm/f1.4 = $1600
X-E1 + zoom = $1400
X100 (35/f2.0) = $1200

Starting at the X100 . . . .
For an extra $200, I can move "up" to an interchangeable lens camera and (up?down?) to the convenience of a zoom.
For an extra $400, I can move "up" to an interchangeable lens camera and up to a faster prime lens.

Starting at the X-pro1 . . .
I can save myself $400 if I give up that very nice viewfinder (maybe some other stuff I am not up to speed on).

At the moment, I have to believe that this new camera is going to hurt X100 and Xpro1 sales.

Or you could buy an x-pro1 used in mint condition for ~$1300.

Fair comment. From my perspective as an existing owner of xp1

- Xe1 does not have ovf - and I use it enough to still c value in it.
- rumored SW update get the af speed quick enough
- the rumored xp1 replacement for early 2013...

The last item interest me more than the other two items on my list since I have always wanted a second body... Thus I will wait until mid next year to decide which way to pull the trigger...

It's exactly this kind of analysis paralysis (and Gary, I'm not picking on you) that keeps me out of the digital market. I too always feel like I can't pull the trigger on something today because I have to fear they'll release something tomorrow that will basically make me lose $1000 on depreciation. Or I should say, I have to fear they'll release something that makes the inevitable $1000 depreciation happen in just 6 months instead of the 12 I had expected. And I have to spend hours every week poring over rumour and leak sites if I want to have any hope of staying ahead of that.

When I buy 1960s Canon rangefinders, 1970s Pentax SLRs, or the like, I can buy with confidence and know the entire range of models among which to choose. No fear that the model I choose will be made obsolete or that the Depreciation Gremlin will start pickpocketing me straight away. Such peace of mind! Mind you this is not "film vs. digital"; I'd say the same about a digital where this stability and predictability were true -- in fact the R-D1 is getting near to there... :)

--Dave

It's exactly this kind of analysis paralysis (and Gary, I'm not picking on you) that keeps me out of the digital market. I too always feel like I can't pull the trigger on something today because I have to fear they'll release something tomorrow that will basically make me lose $1000 on depreciation. Or I should say, I have to fear they'll release something that makes the inevitable $1000 depreciation happen in just 6 months instead of the 12 I had expected. And I have to spend hours every week poring over rumour and leak sites if I want to have any hope of staying ahead of that.

When I buy 1960s Canon rangefinders, 1970s Pentax SLRs, or the like, I can buy with confidence and know the entire range of models among which to choose. No fear that the model I choose will be made obsolete or that the Depreciation Gremlin will start pickpocketing me straight away. Such peace of mind! Mind you this is not "film vs. digital"; I'd say the same about a digital where this stability and predictability were true -- in fact the R-D1 is getting near to there... :)

--Dave

I can't argue with you. My son (a computer guy) has a phrase . . . "It's never a good time to buy hardware."

Film photography is a mature technology (like the turbines and internal combustion engines).
Digital is a young technology. Expect changes and short product lifespans.

Digital won't settle down in my lifetime. Okay, just another issue to live with. ;)

--Dave

I don't understand this argument. It seems like you don't like constantly upgrading so why would you care about the resale value? The camera will only depreciate in the amount of money it is worth in the market, certainly not in its capabilities. I guess it is just insecurity about your decisions?

I'm just digesting the news... Don't see anyone selling the xp1 for the xe1 (but I use the OVF 90% of the time.

I'm pretty happy with the xp1 - will be more so with the software update if it really does improve focus speed - and the x100 as backup and camera to use when I must have a truly silent shutter or high flash sync (it's still the greatest for many stealth shots you wouldn't dare with any other camera but an iphone :)

Tom

It's still the only way to get a fast 35mm equiv in a Fuji. The 23mm f/1.4 lens Fuji is making for the X-Pro1, etc will cost about $800 most likely (based on recent lens prices).

The X100 has my name all over it, as the Konica Hexar AF is my benchmark camera design. Problem was I kind of had to buy a DSLR (to shoot a wedding for a begging friend) just before the X100 came out. Then, of course, the lens GAS inflicted me again and here I am with a complicated life again . . . 6 (or 7 ?) lenses to feed the camera.

Or you could buy an x-pro1 used in mint condition for ~$1300.

Yeh . . . true . . . but that's only the body and history shows (many times over) that if I own an interchangeable lens body, I go through the gear addiction cycle all over again.

Anyway . . . I think Fuji brings a lot to the party these days.

--Dave

No problem...

No different then anything that has happened in consumer electronics. Look at the pc world... What u buy today is going to be obsolete over time.

I have always felt that once something u are interested in hits the right price point and feature set u have targeted, just buy it, or wait for the next gen to come out and buy last years model at a reduced price.

How long u decide to keep, sell or trade up, depends on u..

Gary

I have no intention of ever selling my xp1. I am more interested on a second body... Xe1 vs next version of xp1..

With sensors reaching a level of resolution and ISO performance that offer more than most of us need ... the only thing left for these manufacturers to keep our attention is to keep changing all the stuff around the sensor! :D

Well, if the AF on this is truly reliable (unlike its brothers IMHO) then you could still put an OVF on the hotshoe and shoot away.

It's too bad (but entirely reasonable and understandable) that the in-body film emulations are Fuji-only. If it simulated others, it might save folks from having to buy Nik, et al. B&W software and they could put that toward lenses.

With sensors reaching a level of resolution and ISO performance that offer more than most of us need ... the only thing left for these manufacturers to keep our attention is to keep changing all the stuff around the sensor! :D

+ 1 Excellent point.

Yeh, I also agree here.

Makes me snicker when some DSLR manufacturers call their APS-C cameras "entry level" and feed the idea that "someday, when you become serious about photography, you'll move up to our full frame DSLR's".

Makes me snicker when some DSLR manufacturers call their APS-C cameras "entry level" and feed the idea that "someday, when you become serious about photography, you'll move up to our full frame DSLR's".

Aren't they entry level because of the price more than anything else?

Aren't they entry level because of the price more than anything else?

yeh, probably.

But us DX users (Nikon APS nomenclature) need to see some wide angle prime DX lenses to feel loved, you know? Other people are doing it, why not Nikon?

Back