Bronica RF645 frame counter slipping

Local time
6:49 PM
My Bronica RF645 seems to have developed a strange problem.

After loading film, the frame counter initially works perfectly. However, when I reach frame 7, it begins to slip i.e. on advancing the film it tries to advance to no 8 on the counter, but slips back to 7. The film continues to advance fine, and the roll seems to reach the end without any further problems.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas on what might be the cause.

Thanks!

The return spring on the dial might have become tangled, and giving too much resistance to reach the catch once it's gotten to frame 8.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it would be possible to do a DIY repair of this sort of thing? I've never taken the camera apart myself and haven't been able to find a repair manual online (if one even exists?). Have you had any experience taking the RF645 apart?

I've never worked on one ... my experience tends to be with cameras that are roughly as old as I am. Once you got inside, I suspect that the counter would be pretty straightforward, but I can't help you get inside it.

Thanks for all the replies! The blog post was pretty informative, if not a little disheartening.

I've tested the camera a little further with a spare roll of film, running it through a couple of times. It seems that sometimes the frame counter slips at no.7, but other times it will go as far as no.9 or no.11.

While this is an annoying problem, it doesn't actually effect how the film goes through the camera, so I might just try an ignore it as best I can.

Has anyone ever come across a repair manual for the RF645?

Back