Bronica rf645 shutter noise

rowghani

Established
Local time
3:09 AM
Saw a clip on YouTube and heard the whizzing sound after firing the shutter. Doesn't seem like it makes for a discreet camera. Can some users comment on this? Thx.

That is the shutter recocking. It is pretty subtle. Fairly similar to an F5 on silent film advance mode.

Shawn

Mine makes that sound. Never been a problem, it just sounds a bit odd.

I don't think it makes the camera any less discreet than a 35mm SLR with a flapping mirror. The RF645's benefits far outweigh this issue for me - great control layout, bright VF and RF patch, very good meter and sharp lenses.

If I want stealth, I'd shoot my Leica M2. It's almost as quiet as a leaf-shuttered camera.

Mine makes that sound. Never been a problem, it just sounds a bit odd.

I don't think it makes the camera any less discreet than a 35mm SLR with a flapping mirror. The RF645's benefits far outweigh this issue for me - great control layout, bright VF and RF patch, very good meter and sharp lenses.

If I want stealth, I'd shoot my Leica M2. It's almost as quiet as a leaf-shuttered camera.

My Fuji g s 645 is a leaf shutter but whenever I fire it heads turn my way. it isn'tt much quieter than an SLR..... that's why I'm wondering about the bronica.

Great camera. Comments are made about the RF645 "wheeze" because it's unusual, but as already pointed out, it's very subtle. It's far more apparent to the photographer, who's ear is right next to it, than anybody else. SLR clacks are more noticeable.

Steve

My Fuji g s 645 is a leaf shutter but whenever I fire it heads turn my way. it isn'tt much quieter than an SLR..... that's why I'm wondering about the bronica.
The GS645 is a special case with a distinctive CLACK noise, far more intrusive than any camera I can think of. I have one, had it go to Fuji expert Frank Marshman for repair and asked him if there was anything to be done about that CLACK. Nope, it's inherent.

I also have a pair of Bronica RF645 cameras, very quiet, though as mentioned the recocking "wheeze" is a bit odd sounding if you have your ear next to it. Not to worry!

Great camera. Comments are made about the RF645 "wheeze" because it's unusual, but as already pointed out, it's very subtle. It's far more apparent to the photographer, who's ear is right next to it, than anybody else. SLR clacks are more noticeable.

Steve

**** Kingston??? I grew up there.

I would advise to look for the 100/4,5, which is already big enough. One of the weakest points of Bronica RF is the rangefinder, which is sort of difficult to judge, therefore you should try to stick to glass with deeper DOF. The Bronica RF lenses are so good, that if you use a sharp film cropping is typically not a problem. Another point worth researching is the issue of which frames will your camera have. I have two bodies - one came with the 100 frame, the other with the 135 and I've had it changed in London. Research the topic on RFF before you buy. I find this to be a great camera for landscape/travel.
This is an example of the 100/4.5 shot:
MF20142128 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

65/4 (best lens)
MF20140216 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

45/4
MF20141208 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

All great lenses for B&W with fantastic shadow detail.

There is a fair amount of these cameras in Japan and Korea. I got one of mine from Camley photographic in the UK, if you are in Europe. BTW, if you like paparazzi style, get also the dedicated flash. I would wait for an opportunity on RFF - sometimes people sell kits at attractive prices.

There is a fair amount of these cameras in Japan and Korea. I got one of mine from Camley photographic in the UK, if you are in Europe. BTW, if you like paparazzi style, get also the dedicated flash. I would wait for an opportunity on RFF - sometimes people sell kits at attractive prices.

not a problem....can you further talk about the rangefinder and how its difficult to judge....is it difficult to focus with? thanks in advance.

The shutter isn't a problem at all, it is just very different from other cameras. But you only hear it because you're holding the camera. Focussing isn't harder than any other RF.

Biggest problem with these cameras is keeping the vertical alignment of the RF. And for me the auxilary finder for the 45mm.

The RF is difficult to align and changes very easily as you move the eye away from the centre of the eyepiece. It is easier to align on the border of the patch, but overall the effect is quite far away from what you get in a Leica.

Back