Bronica RF645 Winding wonky

kiss-o-matic

Well-known
Local time
3:47 AM
There's another thread here somewhere (with a much more defined flaw) which I think resulted in it being sent in to Tamron.

My issue is this. I load the film and wind it. It seems to work fine up untila certain point. Today was exposure 5. At that point, I can wind the crank just fine. One full crank and it locks, as it should. However, the film is not winding, and I'm pretty sure it's resulting in multiple exposures (i've not had a chance to develop anything yet to make sure but I don't see how it couldn't).

This is driving me kind of nuts. For the record, when I open the back up and wind, it works fine. Just as it should. Once the door shut something bad happens... but not all the time. I will eventually get through the roll of film, but only a handful of the time will the film advance.

I did take this camera to Burning Man and used it a bit. It got a little dusty but I'd be a little surprised if that's what did it. I've put other cameras through *WAY* worse. I was always sure to put it back in my bag after each shot and not have it out when it was windy.

Should I take this to a tech? Does Tamron even look at these any more?

Tamron USA does still repair the RF645. I have a problem with the advance lever too, gets sticky about once a roll. This part seems to have been the camera's Achilles heel, otherwise its a great machine.

I love this camera. There's a repair shop literally down the street from me (and I'm in Texas at the moment). Worth having them take a look?

EDIT: Is there anything else in 6x4.5 that's quite like it? I have a Mamiya 6 that I quite love as well, but it's boxed up making it's way over the Pacific at the moment.

I've had an RF645 and this has happened to me. I had Tamron in Tokyo service mine and since then it's been flawless. I'd like to think it was a design error and when it was repaired in 2013, it had a sturdier mechanism installed.

(I sold it because I didn't use it enough, not due to the winder problem returning).

My suggestion: Off to Tamron USA/Japan and have it serviced before they stop servicing the RF645!

Hasn't happened to mine yet. Good luck with yours. Maybe it shouldn't go back to Burning Man next year though.

Unfortunately, that's the case with just about any camera, and it's hit or miss. However, that's also the part of the event. You risk destroying anything (including your health... up to your life). It adds excitement and makes it all the more special. I saw a guy out there w/ a Canon 5d Mark III and 24-70L II last year... with no plastic protection. He was like, "whatever, it's my Burning Man camera..."

I have had the same problem with mine also. I sent the camera to Tamron two years ago, and they fixed for around $150. A year ago the camera stopped working completely with a strong smell of fried electronics coming out of the back door. The electric board had fried! I got in in touch with Tamron USA to see if they could repair it but they wouldn't touch it. I then decided to send a letter of complains to Tamron Japan stating that I couldn't understand how a camera this good and fairly new could not be fixed and so on. To make a long story short, they decided to look at it, with no guarantee. I sent the camera to Japan and after a month and half I got the camera back with a new board and working perfectly. I spent around $300 for the repairs and shipping (if I remember correctly shipping was close to half of the total price). I put in the extra effort because the RF645 is such a good camera to enjoy and use, and I love the results. By the way I am an amateur and not a pro.
Good luck.
Giorgio

Last edited:
Ouch, first time I heard of the fried electronics odor from the RF645. Glad you were able to get it fixed, even if it had to travel all the way to Japan for that.

When I had the RF645, I did two things to mostly eliminate winding problems. First, I stopped putting tension on the roll when I loaded it. I thought I was needing to do that to ensure film flatness, but it seemed to be to much for the camera to handle. And I stopped treating the winder like a 35mm, slower and smoother is the way to go. This seemed to do the trick and also worked with the Mamiya 7 whose film I had tensed so much I almost couldn't wind it at all.

Back