Bronica vs. Hasselblad, revisited (ignorable frustration venting)

However, after some comparisons of similar subjects, I cannot deny but that I much prefer the Bronica lenses' rendering - the Zeiss Planar is simple too perfect, clinical, and a little sterile.

When I was looking at the 500 I spent a silly amount of time trawling through Flickr and the like looking at images taken with the 80mm Planar, and I came to the same conclusion. They are clearly superb and perfectly capture a scene a lot like to appears to the eye. The problem is, for me, that's also what digital does and I don't like it. This isn't something that you can point to by looking at one photo; you need to look at hundreds and begin to get a feel of the overall character. If that character doesn't suit you, then you should go back to what you prefer.

I'm firmly of the opinion that life's better when you have a happy relationship with a camera. If you can find something that you enjoy operating, that sounds good, feels good, then you will take better photos. But the most important things are the final images, and if they don't please you then you need to let it go.

'Clinical lenses' sounds like a dentist's remark :D

But really, have you tried changing film? The shot on Fomapan 100 doesn't look clinical on my screen... But it does look very good!

Thought I would mention that Frank Marshman of Fuji MF repair fame has told me he works on Bronica gear as well. My fiance shoots Bronica SQ and I Fuji 6x9, though we havent had to repair any of her stuff yet. It is nice to know he is there if needed, for now. I like the Bronica images too. Tons of character from both the S and PS lines of lenses. Enjoy!

^^^ Not to make light of your quest for ETR parts, but KEH is still selling the cameras, bodies,etc. for such rock bottom prices that you can buy entire components for spares.
Peter

With prices dropping I have to pile on the idea of watching for bargains on good working cameras and picking up a few parts cameras too. While the number of folks who can fix these cameras is shrinking, I think there will be some great independent and small shops out there for another twenty or thirty years or so.

B2 (;->

Bronica Love?

Bronica Love?

I own three Bronicas and 4 Nikkors. I did one shoot with a friend's old 500c.

I like both, my main Bronica complaint is the shutter quack. It's so loud birds fly away, babies cry, and women duck for cover.

I can understand the questionning because Hasselblads are a special piece of kit indeed. I myself own one, and used to own EC-TL bodies (twice at different points). While those were fine, I did not like the curtain shutter (slow flash sync speed), and above all the very heavy weight. Mind you if you have many lenses the Hassy outfit will weigh more. Anyway, I would sell the Hasselblad first over my current Bronica which is a GS-1. I found that modern Bronica glass is noticably sharper than the EC era counterpart (except maybe for this Nikkor O.C. 50mm...). You may certainly call that 'clinical'. I don't mind it. I found that the Planar 80mm has its own downsides also (5 aperture blades only, noticeable distortion), but I like its rendering overall.

I sometimes think I should sell everything and go for a Bronica SQ body. Hasselblads are servicable, but the cost is downright ugly, for the cost of my latest Hasselblad service, I could have bought 2 SQ bodies. Go figure. Hassselblad are certainly not more reliable than modern Bronicas in my experience (quite the opposite actually).

I too, love the rendition of the Nikkor lenses for Bronica S.

Thank you! They are not Petzvals or gimmicky in any way - they don't temp one to try and make "something out of nothing." They are modern lenses, that sharpen up beautifully a couple stops in, but to my eye they have a gentle, natural contrast, vintage-in-an-unobtrusive-way bokeh, and just make b&w film sing.

I have to say go with what your gut is telling you. Just because people say one camera can be better than others, doesn't mean you should jump on that bandwagon. I would say shoot a few more rolls on the 500 Hassy, and if you still aren't pleased, just sell it!

Personally I'm a fan of the Hasselblad 6x6 series. It's a pleasure to work with, with film. Using the camera more and more, that I'm thinking on selling the Hasselblad H2 kit. I love the square format that much!

great observation. go with your heart.....i love my fuji gf 670 because of the silent shutter and viewfinder but the mamiya 6 feels so much better in my hands....decisions decisions..but its nice we have the means to even entertain these decisions...good luck.

The only reason you gave for getting into Hasselblads was A) name cachet and B ) future repair issues.

Neither of them have anything to do with making pictures. You like your system for that, so stick with it.
As for repair issues down the line, buy a few backup bodies, and turn your energies towards finding a trustworthy repair shop.

Again, thanks to all for the input.

Hasselblad is going to be sold once I shoot the film currently loaded, quite possibly to fund a new Epson SureColor p800 17'' printer - I've got 500 cameras, but been limping along with the same Epson r2400 for 10 years.

Back