Bronica's RF645

oldwino

Well-known
Local time
2:03 PM
Anybody out there still shooting with the Bronica RF645 system? I am thinking about purchasing a kit, but am wondering how the cameras are holding up. Who, if anybody, is repairing these cameras now?
Any opinions would be most welcome!

I really love my Bronica RF645! I have the 45mm, 65mm, and 100mm lenses...plus the Bronica flash. I don't have any info regarding possible repair shops. This is probably my most utilized medium format camera. I'm sure you will like yours.

Hi,

I have the same kit as "Psuedobreccia" purchased new in 2004 from John Lewis. Had the film advance issue nine years later. Sent it off to Eurohitech in London (not sure if they still exist.. Came back like new and hasn't missed a beat since. I've nearly sold the kit a few times but ....

Good luck with your hunt,

Lou

I have the same three-lens kit and two bodies... The second came when I realized the camera had become a favorite! It's compact, quiet, non-intrusive, unremarkable looking, easy to handle, and gives great results. If I could wish one thing, it would be to have framelines for the 45mm lens in the viewfinder. See 3+ pages of pics in my RFF Gallery (search user Doug and "RF645" for the camera model in Advanced Search.)

I sold my after the film advance issue reared its ugly head while on vacation in Rocky Mountain National Park. I also had problems with the battery door opening unexpectedly on a hike, leaving me with a dead camera and lots of issues with the compensation knob on the back leaving the neutral position as I walked along. The camera ended up all taped up to keep it functional. Then when the advance failed I gave up on it. Repaired it and sold it. The results were fine but the Mamiya 6 I bought in its place has never had issues like the Bronica. Buyer beware.

Thanks all for the replies! I have searched the past entries on this camera, and the story seems pretty much the same: great ergonomics, great lenses, but some pesky mechanical issues. Luckily, it seems that electronic issues are very rare.

Hence my asking about repairibility, as the "latest" info on that seems to date from 2015.

(I have always been attracted to the Plaubel Makina 67, but they are expensive to buy and to have repaired. The Bronica, with several lenses, can be had for the price of one Makina 67. That makes the RF645 very attractive. On the other hand, the Makina will function without battery, and is repairable. I don't know if the same can be said of the Bronica)

Yep, great ergonomics (as long as you don't need an external viewfinder) and great lenses. Now if they made something like a 35mm and a 150mm that you could use without external viewfinders and opened the lenses to f/2.8 it might be the best camera ever made. If the viewfinder didn't get out of (vertical) alignment by looking though it and the exposure compensation didn't move when taking it out of a bag.

Check with Tamron, my RF645 was repaired for the film advance issue about a year ago by them. Works well now, but every once in a while it can still be slightly sticky. But otherwise its a fun camera to use, very light and ergonomic for a medium format system. The 45, 65 and 100mm are the standard kit and all very good quality. There was a 135mm originally but was abandoned early on.

I too have the RF645 with 3 lenses and love it. It's my favorite system to shoot and produces amazing negatives. I have an extra camera body with the 65mm I used as a back up and have been contemplating selling it.

My two cents:

6x45 is my favourite format and since I love modern rangefinders this is my best option. I would prefer a simpler viewfinder like the mamiya 6 and you have to be aware to half press the shutter every time before taking the pic or else it does seem to be instantaneous. This might be the case with all other aperture priority camera I'm not sure.

Back