Buddhist Ceremony at a Jungle Temple in Thailand

Leica All Day

Mentor
Local time
12:25 PM
Hello Everybody,

I went to a pretty cool buddhist ceremony the other day at a jungle temple about 3 hours outside of Bangkok. It was a "locals only" kind of thing with no Thai or international tourists and I was the only person there with a camera, besides the locals with their cell phones. Things started pretty early in the morning, so I went the night before and got a hotel close by (30 minutes away), and in the morning went to this ceremony and had a blast.

Everything was shot with my M6ttl Millennium and my 35mm Zeiss 1.4 Distagon on Kodak film

46278141612_9a18429c89_b.jpg
[/url]

The monks had traveled from all over Thailand to attend this ceremony and slept in tents in the forest.

cheers, michael

Fascinating and educational, Michael—the juxtaposition of all the traditional saffron and sesshin sitting and boddhisatva-going-into-the-forest with the iPad and tattoos and bottled water by the tent. I especially appreciate your image of the monk resting in precisely the position of so many statues. Hope to see more.

Michael!

Long time no see, my friend.:cool:
How are you ?

It is so good to see these images, very well done! As usual!
I have missed your posts.

:):):)

Very nice series again, Michael. Those blocks on wich the nuns and monks are sitting, are they concrete or carved stone?

Funny to see that they have modern tents and iPads.

All beautiful with those typical colors of you. (I did not try the roll I got from you, I guess I want to keep it as a souvenir).

All the best,

Erik.

Very nice series again, Michael. Those blocks on wich the nuns and monks are sitting, are they concrete or carved stone?

Funny to see that they have modern tents and iPads.

All beautiful with those typical colors of you. (I did not try the roll I got from you, I guess I want to keep it as a souvenir).

All the best,

Erik.

thanks a lot Erik, I am not sure what those blocks are made of , but my guess would be that they are concrete. Yes, technology seems to be everywhere out here and it is not uncommon to see locals from all sectors of society using a smart phone or a tablet.

That film I gave you is magic :D

cheers

This is a good series, and quite a stroke of luck seeing something so authentic in such a place. No playing for the tourists there!

Hey Michael,

Found some of your old posts last week and poured over them for a good part of the day. So glad to see you posting again. Love your work.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Best,
-Tim

Lovely Michael, always so impressed with your ability to shoot what could easily be trite and cliche Thai motifs and yet make them look interesting and original. I live here and see such things all the time as you do BUT I really enjoyed your series as though I was on the outside looking in. As with all high level experts at anything, you make the very difficult appear easy. A credit to you.

I love such cultural stories, Michael. The images convey a story, and you did very well here. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wow, that wok is huge! We have a much more low key approach at my New Mexico Zen center. Our potlucks have been OK. The teacher breaks out his single malt whiskey, and that stuff is.....enlightening!

A few potlucks ago he was 3 sheets in the wind, and when he's like that he becomes the perfect host. Always smiles and keeps everybody's glass topped off, which is NOT how he normally is.

A wonderful series Michael, the colours leap out at you. Very insightful as others have already said.

Thanks for sharing

Not exactly the place for it but I had the chance to visit a Thai Buddhist Temple in the small town of Mylor in the Adelaide Hills. Set amongst the trees of a national park complete with kangaroos the place is beautifully sited and serene. And the people were very welcoming and lovely.

A few shots from this day as the monks were preparing to dine on offerings brought by members of the congregation. After which we ate - and very good it was too, better I would say than any Thai restaurant menu as it was true home cooking. There was only time for a couple of snatched shots but more photos will come when I get the chance (next trip maybe).

mpagkmG.jpg

f75uKCW.jpg

Q4Xt8EM.jpg

Back