Canada buying digital in canada

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
2:38 PM
if i ever sell my 28 or 35 i want to buy a dslr from a internet retailer in canada...

any suggesstions as to some good ones?

joe

You mean like an m8? I can recommend http://leicaboutique.com/. Their prices seem competitive on the voigtlander and zeiss line, although I don't know about leica, since it's way out of my price range. They're also conveniently located for me, just a couple of km directly south.

If you're looking at getting a run of the mill dslr you could try http://www.cameracanada.com. I've purchased from them in the past (about 5 years ago now) and I had no complaints.

Should have read your post more thoroughly... for dslr, I would price camera canada, henrys, vistek and just go with the best price, assuming you want to buy on-line.

My perception is that there aren't great deals to be had from on-line retailers in Canada. From what I can tell, their prices are no better than you get in-store. When I bought my 5D kit, I actually ordered it from a dealer I know well in Hong Kong and save a good whack of money.

What DSLR are you considering? Did you see Canon's announcement of the 50D?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082605canoneos50d.asp

Some nice features:
15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
6.3fps continuous shooting, max. burst 90 JPEGs with UDMA card
DIGIC 4 processor
ISO 100-3200, expandable to 12800
9-point wide area AF
3.0” Clear View VGA LCD with Live View mode & Face Detection Live AF
Magnesium alloy body, with environmental protection
EOS Integrated Cleaning System

My perception is that there aren't great deals to be had from on-line retailers in Canada. From what I can tell, their prices are no better than you get in-store. When I bought my 5D kit, I actually ordered it from a dealer I know well in Hong Kong and save a good whack of money.

What DSLR are you considering? Did you see Canon's announcement of the 50D?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082605canoneos50d.asp

Some nice features:
15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
6.3fps continuous shooting, max. burst 90 JPEGs with UDMA card
DIGIC 4 processor
ISO 100-3200, expandable to 12800
9-point wide area AF
3.0” Clear View VGA LCD with Live View mode & Face Detection Live AF
Magnesium alloy body, with environmental protection
EOS Integrated Cleaning System
You don't get the manufacturer's warranty when you buy from Hong Kong.
Support your local camera store!

I've often gotten better deals from Henry's Ebay store than the retail outlet.

I got an open box Canon 400D/XTi for my wife and you couldn't tell the difference from a brand new one and it was a couple of hundred bucks cheaper than the store.

www.simonscameras.com in Montreal is good also if they have the right deal. I've bought 2 dslrs from them.

ProDigital2000 on Ebay is a actual store, but again, their ebay prices are cheaper, and they carry some factory refurb bodies also. I've bought a few Lowepro bags from them.

HitCamera.ca is often very cheap, but I believe their warrantly is gray market. I've not had any experience with them.

Support your local camera store!

I do. My previous DSLR was a Pentax K10D plus three Limited lenses and a 16-45mm zoom, all bought a ten minute walk from my office at Broadway Camera. No one in town, however, could offer the price I got on my 5D kit from Joseph Yao in Hong Kong.

Hi Joe,Ive been shopping at Vistek since they opened a little over a year ago locally I fine them more helpful than Mcbain down the street.Although the price are about the same.But still cheaper than any online retailer Ive seen.

The Camera Store in Calgary has pretty decent stock with comparable prices to other Canadian retailers (you're only a couple hours drive away, Joe, so you're always welcome down in cowtown).

CameraCanada is sometimes a little cheaper, but I always factor in the shipping + the hold-in-your-hands experience you get from a local shop. I guess what you could do is check one out in store & order overseas ie: Sockeyed purchasing from HK.

i'm fine with local too.
i was thinking about using my paypal balance to buy the camera so the internet is the logical choice then, but not many stores on the net use paypal it seems.
i may just transfer it to my bank account.
not one to use credit cards makes buying a bit more complicated at times.

Joe - another vote for The Camera Store in Calgary - bought my D300 there via the internet - fast efficient service and decent prices
David

Joe, what Kin said. Henry's ebay store seems to have prices that are tolerable and I believe they settle with paypal... anyway good luck on whatever you decide.

I have found the Camera Store in Calgary to have better posted prices than Henrys & Vistek but I just use their prices to get the local Henrys & Vistek to match.

Rob Galbraith on his site recommends them.

i ended up using vistek.
i ordered a sony a 300 with the kit lens.
then they told me it was 2 to 4 weeks back ordered.

Interesting choice - going with Sony (my dslr is the Minolta 7D, so same mount as the Sony). I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the camera & optics.

Cheers

Interesting choice - going with Sony (my dslr is the Minolta 7D, so same mount as the Sony). I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the camera & optics.

Cheers

my buddy has the 5d (iirc) and a few minolta lenses and this influenced my decision as i can borrow his lenses.
price was also a factor, i had no intention of spending bigger bucks on a pro pr semi pro model. this camera is basically for snaps of the dogs and playing around.

my buddy has the 5d (iirc) and a few minolta lenses and this influenced my decision as i can borrow his lenses.
price was also a factor, i had no intention of spending bigger bucks on a pro pr semi pro model. this camera is basically for snaps of the dogs and playing around.
I played with one in the store. I thought the live view implementation was a lot nicer than some other DSLRs in that price range. Good choice!

Back