Buying Film Cameras Singapore?

Colin G.

Established
Local time
5:06 AM
Any advice on where to buy film cameras in Singapore? Particularly medium format cameras? Particularly good shops that may or may not come up online?

Will be heading there in a few days. Black Market Camera sounds like an entertaining experience (check their reviews). If I was a masochist that would be my first stop.

Thanks in advance.

There are second hand shops in Peninsula Plaza on North Bridge Rd (City Hall MRT station) and across the road on the other side of Peninsula Plaza - Coleman St - in Peninsula Shopping Centre. However, I lived in Singapore for over 17 years (last there in 2017) and I have never bought a second hand camera in the country; the range is limited and the prices are well above international prices) but it's an interesting browse.

There is a good shop called Riceball. I bought a 35mm camera there last year. Talk to Jeff. They also have a very active Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/RiceballPhotoBook/

Also, in the same shopping centre that they're located in, there are a couple of other shops with large collections. (I'm afraid I don't recall if I saw medium format cameras, or not).

I visited Singapore between 89 and 92, when it was a camera shopping paradise. Not so today. I had a look around a few months ago and the prices for new and second hand cameras were high.

Prices in Singapore for cameras whether new or secondhand are no longer cheap. Don't go out with the expectation of finding the bargain of a lifetime.

My advice would be to know beforehand what camera you are looking for and buy only if you find one that suits you. Condition and cosmetics are everything!

This said, drop in at Camera Hospital, 91 Bencoolen Street (Sunshine Plaza) in the city-center. See the truly amazing double window full of old cameras - owner Steven Lee appears to have cornered the local market on Rollei TLRs among many other 'oldies' - and while I've never bought a camera from him, several friends have and they all recommend him very highly as a seller of top quality gear.

I've always found him to be a genial, pleasant and informative source of good advice on what ails your camera.

Steven is highly recommended by many Singaporeans for any camera repairs you may need. Fast and reliable service, and he will often do the work for you in 1-2 days or even on the spot (depending on what ails your beast) if you are short on time.

Check out Steven's web site, www.camerahospital.com.

I’m a Singaporean. I had not bought a single film camera from the shops here. I buy my stuffs through the local forums and online marketplace.

However, the shops at Penisula are worth a visit, Riceball, Camera Hospital as mentioned and some others. However, I don’t see any advantage for you to buy a used item in Singapore vs international online marketplace as you wouldn’t enjoy any warranty or return policy.

Thanks for the info. I'm expecting that prices will be higher, like most things in Singapore, but if the cameras/lens are high quality, or recently serviced, I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm looking for a Minolta Autocord and/or a Pentax 105mm 2.4 for my 67. I'll be sure to check out Peninsula, Riceball and Camera Hospital.

There are second hand shops in Peninsula Plaza on North Bridge Rd (City Hall MRT station) and across the road on the other side of Peninsula Plaza - Coleman St - in Peninsula Shopping Centre. However, I lived in Singapore for over 17 years (last there in 2017) and I have never bought a second hand camera in the country; the range is limited and the prices are well above international prices) but it's an interesting browse.

What craygc said is still true today. By the way, I am a Singaporean. A local.

Riceball - selling mostly new Voigtlander lenses, and used Leica stuff (on consignment) at high price.

Camera Hospital - you would not find high quality used MF stuff there. Steven is friendly but that's about it. His camera repair skill is just so-so.

There are a few other second hand camera shops opposite Peninsula Shopping Center. No good MF selection and prices are generally high (close to what you see at eBay.)

Back