Leica LTM C&P Elmar hood

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Dralowid

Michael
Local time
4:11 PM
Cooke and Perkins made versions of many of the Leitz hoods and if they can be found offer a far cheaper alternative.

This one is made from Aluminium and quite light. It had a good aperture control (knurled ring) and can also take a filter glass. It is much lighter than the Leitz enlarger hood.

As can been seen, it has been rolling around in the bottom of my box of bits for years. I think there may be a similar Leitz equivalent but can't remember its code.

(OK so it is nothing like the one in the 'ABLON' thread!)

Michael

IMG_1464 by dralowid, on Flickr

Fear not, the chances of it being described properly are almost nil!

Hope you find one in better condition than mine...

Cooke and Perkins made versions of many of the Leitz hoods and if they can be found offer a far cheaper alternative.

Nice hood! I've never seen one of those, neither in books nor in the flesh. Doubtless they are more common in the UK than on the continent.

I have a pre-war nickle ring from Leitz that sets the aperture too (called VALAU), but that is not as deep so it is less effective as a shade. It was used when you used the Elmar as an enlarging lens. Not as ugly as the black post-war VALOO however.

Erik.

That Leitz aperture ring that fits inside a clamp on hood or filter is sort of self defeating because it is clamped in. The beauty of this is that the hood is clamped to the lens but the aperture is free to turn.

C&P made a very nice Contax to LTM adaptor that I have not see for many a year. Photax made SOOMP and ABLON and filters.

That Leitz aperture ring that fits inside a clamp on hood or filter is sort of self defeating because it is clamped in.

The Leitz aperture ring you mean is called VOOLA.

It is a great mystery why Leitz themselves didn't produce a shade for the Elmar with aperture control for use on the cameras.
The VALAU and VALOO rings were intended for use on the enlargers only.

Erik.

Now if our creative Chinese friends would make a thousand copies of this I would like to buy one. Alternately, show us a picture of the front and perhaps us home shop machinists could make a few. Thanks. Joe

Livesteamer, I am with you there - would love a good solution to the aperture issue.

The VOOLA and a SOOGZ (if I remember the designation correctly) combination is the best "small and light" solution I've found but it still was a bit clunky, not to mention costly.

OK Guys, I post these pics on the understanding that if anyone ever does re-manufacture these then I want one!

This first photo shows the hood almost unscrewed. You can clearly see the three components. Clamp, aperture ring, hood.

IMG_1467 by dralowid, on Flickr

The second photo shows the hood dismantled and shown from the 'front'

IMG_1465 by dralowid, on Flickr

The third photo show the three components from 'behind' ie camera side:

IMG_1466 by dralowid, on Flickr

One key point is that the aperture ring runs on a thread rather than some sort of captive ring. This makes manufacture much easier and bearing in mind it does not need to turn it far in use it does not disengage from the lens's aperture tab.

One sets the lens to a given aperture, hood to the same and then clamp it on.

With these pics and an Elmar to hand, it is not beyond the wit of man to calculate the dimensions...but if you really want 'em... it is probably made to Imperial measurements!

Michael

Michael, Thanks for the fine photos of the hood. I'm not sure my lathe can cut such fine threads but there may be ways around that. This hood looks so much better than what Leica offered. Now to find some time in the shop. Joe

Nice, looks better then the valau. It will be difficult to search in eBay unless the seller knows CP is Cook Perkins.

The Leitz aperture ring you mean is called VOOLA.

It is a great mystery why Leitz themselves didn't produce a shade for the Elmar with aperture control for use on the cameras.
The VALAU and VALOO rings were intended for use on the enlargers only.

Erik.

Hi,

It always amazes me just what they didn't do yet knew about because they came up with odd solutions. F'instance the filter for the RF window; why not built in, and so on, and so on.

Regards, David

Michael, it looks really nice! Thanks for the excellent photos.

EDIT: It would be interesting to see if someone could make a copy, would love one myself.

Michael, Thanks for the fine photos of the hood. I'm not sure my lathe can cut such fine threads but there may be ways around that. This hood looks so much better than what Leica offered. Now to find some time in the shop. Joe

I guess you could turn the hood and aperture control as one part. Then make the clamp and if you can't make the threads use an arrangement of three grub screws and a groove for them to run in to connect the two????

It is years since I used a lathe but I reckon this should be do-able somehow, alternatively if 36mm ID tubing is available and a slip on size one bigger and maybe an old filter...think on...and on!

Remember, I'm the guy who makes shutter release collars out of old bicycle tyre valve parts!

Michael

My father told me the VALOO was made for use on an enlarger, but it has been working just fine for decades as a lens shade on an Elmar 50/3.5.

Yes that will fit the Elmar though the price asked for the hood surely exceeds the value of the lens!

(Wonders to himself, what else has he got apart from that damned ELIDA!)

Michael

Back