C3 focusing: stiff at one point

pinkarmy

Well-known
Local time
12:55 PM
i, like many fellow Argus C3 owner, would like to use the camera more.

in a certain way C3's design is in the same league with Voigtlander Vitessa (barn-door model)--they both just simply broken all the rules regarding camera operation.

fondling the camera itself is enough fun
but a camera is made to take photo.
so...

i have been struggling with the focus issue for 2 years.
i am now have a better understanding (after reading the RFf posts:cool:).

the (may be) only problem left is the focusing.
the focusing ring is stiff and bumpy from the closet distance to around 6 ft
that i have to turn the lens barrel to force-past that point, when it get from the 6ft point it is then smooth again to the infinity.

why is that?

Last edited:
It can either be the lens focusing helical or the focussing ring/RF window that's stiff. (possibly dried grease).

The only way to be sure is to remove the little cogwheel between them and turn them separately to confirm.

Then find a way to clean and lubricate the one that gives you trouble.

Or it might be something really simple like dirt in the teeth of the gears. ;)

i inspected the lens barrel again.
i noticed that that single bigger screw on the barrel has affect the turning of the focusing action.

">

if
tightened: the focusing action would be blocked (in fact i can't turn it anymore)
loosen: it the turning would be smooth BUT the front element would not move.

any hint?

ok so i figured out the issue might be cause by the sliver-colored gear cap (the gear that control the rotation of the rangefinder wheel and the lens barrel wheel)

if i did not screw in too tight, the rotation would be smooth.
so i just screw it in loosely, til it barely touched the lens barrel wheel

is that correct?
any C3 owner here bother to take a look of your camera to confirm would be much appreciated. thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem at all, but just be careful that you don't lose it.

It's screwed on tight on mine. Perhaps the little cap on yours is bent slightly out of shape.

done!...i hope...

the strange (if not complicated) relation between the front element, the screw on the barrel and the helical caused the issue.

Back