Camera comfort with wife's cancer .

dee

Well-known
Local time
11:01 PM
It's ever been this way - I have some connection issues , so social dee-stancing is not a problem .

I took one of the Fuji when going with my wife for radiotherapy by train and bus through London taking snapshots through the window as it became progressively more empty / quieter .

Now locked into home , I am surrounded by Fujis - x-Pro 1 , X-T1 , X-M1 [revisted as compact with the 15-45 zoom and need for screen focusing on moving bus ] and the new X-T 100 .
All bought really cheaply new from mid 2016 onward [ these 1st generation Fuji did not seem to be known or appreciated , it's not happening with the subsequent versions !

All the old Minoltas / Contax/Kievs , even the SonyA290 / A390 DSLRs with Ccd sensors create some sense of being OK.

I am not trying to explain , the Contax / Kiev hybrids created some form of continuity between 1936 and 1955 [ Kiev 4 to plate / meter ]

I guess that the unknown about whether the treatment will be successful has created this situation .

Keep safe everyone .

dee

dee,

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis and pray the therapy is successful.

Find peace of mind where you can.

Mike

Oh, man. Best of health to your wife, and to you. Using your cameras to document the journeys and times will continue to bring you comfort, and a sense of handling the situation.

My best wishes and thoughts are with you and your wife, Dee. I hope the radiotherapy is successful.
Take care.

Dreadful news, I am so terribly sorry for You both

Strength and Peace to you Both !

Good You can find some solace with your camera

Best to your wife, I had massive radiation 46 years ago. I can't say I haven't had problems from it, but the 'C' hasn't come back. Good thoughts.

In April of 2017, I discovered that I had adenocarcinoma of the descending colon. The 6cm "apple core" tumor was removed in late May, was found to be T4a N1b M0 ("Stage IIIb") cancer. That's not a fun phone call to get. Chemo started in late June, chemo sent me to the hospital on my 50th birthday in July, and chemo kept me from attending my father's funeral in November of 2017. Cancer was inconvenient, chemo was hell. I'm cancer free now and get the "cured" sticker if all is clear through 2022.

I didn't have much of a problem with my immune system (my GI tract was a different story...did you know Laudanum is still prescribed?), but I am so glad I'm not going through chemo now. I can imagine, better than most, how much more difficult it is to be immunosuppressed during a pandemic.

Take care of yourself! There was a whole infrastructure of medical professionals and resources to take care of me, but not as many resources for my wife. In some ways, my chemo was worse for her than it was for me. We survived it, but not all couples do.

I wish both of you all the luck in the world. Take care of your wife, take care of yourself, and take good photos when you can. That can help to keep you sane.

Drew

P.S. For anyone who qualifies for a colonoscopy (age 45 now, younger if you have any risk factors), get it! They're really not that big of a deal. I get to enjoy one every 3 years now!

Dee, I wish your wife has a good outcome, and that you have the strength to support her in her recovery.

PF

Another "well wisher" here:

I think many of us have had some pretty crazy ups and downs in life. Let's make this "down" a short one.

I can say that cameras and the activity associated with them can help during difficult times. Gave me something creative and positive to do -- especially being engaged in photography, but even GAS had its beneficial effects.

Dee - best wishes for both you and your wife. The Big C takes it toll on the caregiver/partner/spouse as much as the patient. I speak from experience.

My wife & I have been dealing with her second cancer (totally unrelated to her first a decade ago) for the last 7 months and experience has shown me that one should accept what aid an occupation can provide without worrying about what the occupation is. Just don't let it be mentally or emotionally isolating.

Dee, a close friend was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer (he quit smoking when he was 43, and he is now 71), so I have some empathy to share, also.

I wish your wife the best outcome possible, and I wish you the best, as well.

- Murray

Dee,

Cameras and photography are a great and welcome distraction, aren’t they? A tiny, insignificant detail catches your eye and before you know it you are delving into every manual and online piece you can find, rushing out to use that quirky lens or body, to see what all the fuss is about.

Long may it continue!

The photos you take during this uncertain and worrying time will perhaps become more precious than you realise now. I hope that your wife makes a full and speedy recovery and that you are both able to look back in future years on the images you are making currently.

My sincere best wishes to you both.

From the M25 north UK.

While going through treatment, I found this online comic very helpful: https://cancerowl.com
The author had rectal cancer (related to my colon cancer, now generally called colorectal cancer), so quite a bit was relatable, except I didn't have radiation therapy or need a "special bag." The website's navigation isn't the best, but you can start with the first comic here: https://cancerowl.com/comic/2015/6/29/the-news

No, I never lost hair, nor did anyone shave their heads in misplaced solidarity: https://cancerowl.com/comic/2016/9/25/solidarity

My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and all your family. Eat organic as much as possible. Cut out all sugar cancer feeds on sugar. I am a stage 4 cancer survivor. Its a complete lifestyle change. No fast food, booze. All the added chemicals in food in the USA is so bad. Get second opinions.

Sorry to hear that dee. You and your wife are in my prayers. Keep us posted please and keep the camera handy for the support using it can give.

I understand the value that camera possessions have at a time like this. I've had my losses. My father, step-mother; my mother; a divorce; my dogs Abracadabra, Leda, and Ginger. Career setbacks. And through it all, a constant companion: My Leica M2. Somehow it helped and meant a great deal at such times.

I don't pray, but you and your wife will be in my thoughts. My wife is a Quaker. Quakers say, "We will keep you in the light." I'll keep you in the light, Dee.

Back