Can anybody identify this camera?

Kaspar

Local time
10:52 PM
Hello, can any of you ID the camera in the attached picture? My wife loves the look of it and I'd like to surprise her for her upcoming birthday, but cannot quite decipher the photo...

Many thanks for your help!

camera.jpg

wow, amazing help. thank you!!
interesting, essentially same camera branded differently each time. do you happen to know anything about this particular model?

Looks like it's the Universa -- all three are the same but "Universa" is what appears to be on the camera in question. Probably made by Canon (or for Canon) originally?

That's quite an oddball contraption. 38mm 1:3.8 implies some form of autofocus, but there's no IR windows. Could it be that the small lens above the main lens does phase detect?

It will be fixed focus. The small window above the lens is for a very simple light meter, there are probably only two settings, governed by the film speed dial at the bottom.

The term "Optical Lens" is also used on those cheap "Canomatic" cameras and derivatives, that try to imitate more expensive brands. It basically has a fixed-focus plastic meniscus lens.

I'm certain this 35 Auto Wind camera in all its variations is of a similar cheap construction and sold with various brand name stickers, without any real ties to those actual brands.

Last edited:
Back