Canadian 28mm Elmarit V4

Bad Example

Local time
2:06 AM
I bought this lens on the 'bay and it came in today. Part of my growing interest in the Mandler designs. It looks and seems to work fine. I am very surprised the aperture ring is plastic. It feels kind of cheaply made compared to my 35 and 50 lux(s).
Are all the IV Elmarit Canadian lenses made this way?

I bought this lens on the 'bay and it came in today. Part of my growing interest in the Mandler designs. It looks and seems to work fine. I am very surprised the aperture ring is plastic. It feels kind of cheaply made compared to my 35 and 50 lux(s).
Are all the IV Elmarit Canadian lenses made this way?

Welcome to greedy Leica and sloppy Canuckistan heritage.
Plenty of ELC lenses are with dirt cheap plastic focus tab.

But first and foremost, you have to get your act together. Mandler did not designed 28 2.8 IV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mandler#Mandler_lenses.

I had the 28mm f/2.8 V3 for a while. its performance was as good as i could have wanted, and was very well made, as far as I could tell. Its only drawback, for me, was too much intrusion into the viewfinder. Of course, using it with a 28mm accessory finder would have solved that. I believe the version 4 was shorter, with less intrusion, which is a good thing. So it's too bad that it has plastic parts to cause concern. My solution was to get the Summicron ASPH, which is also smaller with less finder intrusion. And no plastic parts, that I know of.

Apparently the concern is that the plastic might break, and Leica may not have a replacement. That was my concern when I learned that my 35mm Canadian Summicron had plastic parts. I sold it and bought the ASPH German lens instead, and I've been happy with it.

So, Bad Example, it seems your lens is a disappointment both for its plastic parts, and because it's not really a Mandler design. Why not return it and buy something that was a Mandler creation? Do you have a 35mm Summicron version 1, 2, or 3? They were designed by Mandler, as was the Pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux.

I had the 28mm f/2.8 V3 for a while. its performance was as good as i could have wanted, and was very well made, as far as I could tell. Its only drawback, for me, was too much intrusion into the viewfinder. Of course, using it with a 28mm accessory finder would have solved that. I believe the version 4 was shorter, with less intrusion, which is a good thing. So it's too bad that it has plastic parts to cause concern. My solution was to get the Summicron ASPH, which is also smaller with less finder intrusion. And no plastic parts, that I know of.

Apparently the concern is that the plastic might break, and Leica may not have a replacement. That was my concern when I learned that my 35mm Canadian Summicron had plastic parts. I sold it and bought the ASPH German lens instead, and I've been happy with it.

So, Bad Example, it seems your lens is a disappointment both for its plastic parts, and because it's not really a Mandler design. Why not return it and buy something that was a Mandler creation? Do you have a 35mm Summicron version 1, 2, or 3? They were designed by Mandler, as was the Pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux.

Yes, I am in the wrong. It is a V4 that I purchased, which I still understand to be Mandler designed. I am still unhappy with it, and am sending it back. I have a CV Ultron II asph on the way. I do have a couple of Non-Mandler designed Leica lenses and they will make do for the time being.

I don't know that I would say that on such a well known forum as this one because the seller may be on here and could say evidence of buyers remorse.

It may be so, but my discontent has nothing to w the seller, merely the item's quality, which is not the seller's fault. The seller takes returns for any reason.

BTW - I've returned the ELCAN and purchased a CV 28 Ultron version II. The build quality is much nicer than the Elmarit. The rendering is quite nice. Now I need a Viewfinder as my glasses make things difficult.

BTW - I've returned the ELCAN and purchased a CV 28 Ultron version II. The build quality is much nicer than the Elmarit. The rendering is quite nice. Now I need a Viewfinder as my glasses make things difficult.

So, haven't tried Mandler's magic, yet. :)

Back