Canomatic R 100/2 vs. Canon rf 100/2

pagpow

Well-known
Local time
5:32 PM
Hi all, I figure this could go in various forums, but going to the source (Hi, Peter) seemed the thing to do.

I'm wondering if those two lenses are the same formula in different mounts. The Canon Camera Museum shows them both as 4 groups, 6 elements, but with a different number of diaphragm blades.

I ask in part because I have one with, I guess, oil on the blades (it no longer opens up) and I'm wondering if it so good at f2 that it is worth either cleaning or having the blades removed (I have other 100's I would use if I wanted to stop down).

Thoughts about the lens formula or whether doing something is worthwhile?

Thanks.

Hi all, I figure this could go in various forums, but going to the source (Hi, Peter) seemed the thing to do.

I'm wondering if those two lenses are the same formula in different mounts. The Canon Camera Museum shows them both as 4 groups, 6 elements, but with a different number of diaphragm blades.

I ask in part because I have one with, I guess, oil on the blades (it no longer opens up) and I'm wondering if it so good at f2 that it is worth either cleaning or having the blades removed (I have other 100's I would use if I wanted to stop down).

Thoughts about the lens formula or whether doing something is worthwhile?

Thanks.

I own a 2/100 LTM lens, and it's superb. The Canon FD 2/100 was superb (and it was probably very similar to your lens). The modern EF 2/100 is superb. I have no doubt Canon has known how to build great 100mm lenses and can hardly imagine that they failed doing so for a while.

The only question is whether the repair job costs more than a used lens.

And I still hope they finally learn how to create superb wide-angles... :angel:

I have tried my friend's Canon 100/2 LTM lens. Great sharpness and very "3D feel" even at full aperture. It is one of the best telephoto lens in my opinion.

Supposedly both lenses use the same optical formula. I have the R version of this lens and it's superb, even at F2.0.

But, all R lenses are susceptible to sticky aperture blades (dried lubricant). I recently took apart my 100mm R and soaked the aperture blades (which were sticky) with lighter fluid. It now works perfectly.
Jim B.

Back