Canon LTM Canon 28mm f2.8 LTM

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Finally received the Canon 28mm lens, wow it's in mint shape and
came with a filter, original leather case. I shot with it with my Sony
A7II and it's a bit difficult to use on that but when I got used to it
it take nice photos, at wide open it's sharp in the center and a little
soft in the corners (reminds me of the 1.4 Voigtlander) but close down
to F8,11 bingo looks real good. It made a cloudy day look terrific.
I did but it on my M2 and it's a small package on that but fit's well.

Finally received the Canon 28mm lens, wow it's in mint shape and
came with a filter, original leather case. I shot with it with my Sony
A7II and it's a bit difficult to use on that but when I got used to it
it take nice photos, at wide open it's sharp in the center and a little
soft in the corners (reminds me of the 1.4 Voigtlander) but close down
to F8,11 bingo looks real good. It made a cloudy day look terrific.
I did but it on my M2 and it's a small package on that but fit's well.

Really interesting, so it seems to work rather good on a Sony sensor.
I‘m quite interested in that lens but was very unsure about it’s performance on the thick Sony sensors.
Can you please post some (highres) pictures made with it, wide open and around 5.6/8 against the sun? I found a strange issue with the Canon ltm 35mm f2 against the sun stopped down. It caused reflections on the sensor glass and made the aperture blades visible on the picture so I got the Voigtländer Nokton Classic for my A7RIII instead, but I’m missing a 28mm.
So maybe you could help me with that please?

_CR_2213 by C R, auf Flickr

It's the vintage coatings compared to the Voigtlander new modern
coating. We are having bad weather here today so one nice day I
try some shots.

As with all Canon LTM lenses, getting one in good condition is key. I had a 28/3.5 for while - smaller, lighter, cheaper, sharper. For my uses, it was the better lens. I used it on a Leica CL by using the whole of the finder as my VF.

That 28, a Summitar & an uncoated Elmar 90/4 made a heck of compact combo.

I have the Canon 28/2.8 , 28/3.5 (black/chrome version) and the CV 28/3.5. The 28/2.8 has its place offering excellent central sharpness from wide open but with a soft overall performance with plenty of vignetting. Not the one to get if you want edge to edge sharpness and total flair resistance. The Canon 28/3.5 gives the CV28/3.5 a run for its money in terms of sharpness with the later have yet more contrast and rather unsurprisingly a more modern look. Either would be good as a do-it-all 28. Both seem harder to find than the Canon 28/2.8. I probably use the Canon 28/2.8 the most and the CV the least.

I used to own a Canon 35/2.8 in chrome, but I sold it. I have a Rokkor-M 28mm/2.8 and a Kobalux 28mm/3.5. These two lenses are sufficient for my use of 28mm RF lenses.
I have never owned a Canon 28mm/2.8, but I recall reading feedback on it and comparisons with the 28/3.5 Canon. Supposedly, the latter is sharper.

I've had mine for almost a year now. I love it. Tiny....handles well. Sharp enough when stopped down. Handles well on the M and even better on the CL. I prefer its rendering over that of the Voigtlander 28mm 3.5 which as noted, is more modern.IMG_6805 2.JPGIMG_7675 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Back