Canon 35mm f1.5

sanmich

Mentor
Local time
10:20 AM
Could you share your feelings about this lens?

Is it comparable to the pre-ASPH 'lux?

Could it be a good general shooting lens?

I saw the excellent test of Raid / Roland (Thanks for that!!).
I'm not sure about flare (contradictory results?) but sharpness, bokeh seem ok.

AND..... What would be a good price for such a lens?

Thanks! :)

Michael

Me want one too! ;)

I`ve got the original shade for one, now I just need the lens........

Here`s one on evilbay on a Canon 7s with less than 2 hours left and it`s already on a great camera - this combo is worth it (if it stays under $800 it`s a bargin)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-7s-RANGEFINDER-CAMERA-35mm-f1-5-Lens-Case-Manual_W0QQitemZ120216053076QQihZ002QQcategoryZ30027QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These lenses are not so common and all the "hype" has them on the high end of $400+ right now - so anything under that`s a deal

Not enough people shoot with them - I just acquired a 35mm f1.8 Canon (a lens that`s always trashed in forums) but results back from it being on a RD-1 and it`s amazing, so that`s another one you might consider, mine`s out to get adjusted together with my Canon 7s right now, as soon as it`s back it`s going through a bunch of shoots and I`ll post here soon

I would like to see some shots with the f1.5 here - maybe some portraits

Tom

Last edited:
great lens, I have owned this lens since the late 1980s.
I also have the pre Asph 35mm LUX and the Canon lens holds its own.
this Canon is really the sleeper lens, has nice bokeh in my opinion.
I picked up the proper lens shade for this Canon 35/1.5 lens recently for 5 dollars.
you just can't beat it.

LeicaTom said:
Me want one too! ;)

I`ve got the original shade for one, now I just need the lens........

Here`s one on evilbay on a Canon 7s with less than 2 hours left and it`s already on a great camera - this combo is worth it (if it stays under $800)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-7s-RANGEFINDER-CAMERA-35mm-f1-5-Lens-Case-Manual_W0QQitemZ120216053076QQihZ002QQcategoryZ30027QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These lenses are not so common and all the "hype" has them on the high end of $400+ right now - so anything under that`s a bargin

Not enough people shoot with them - I just acquired a 35mm f1.8 Canon (a lens that`s always trashed in forums) but results back from it being on a RD-1 and it`s amazing, so that`s another one you might consider, mine`s out to get adjusted together with my Canon 7s right now, as soon as it`s back it`s going through a bunch of shoots and I`ll post here soon

I would like to see more shots with the f1.5 here - maybe some portraits

Tom

That's a gorgeous 7s! If I didn't already have a 7....:angel:

And a nice looking 35/1.5 to go with it! :)

here is the Canon 35/1.5 lens used at near full bore.

Attachments

• 012_9A.jpg
    012_9A.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
RFF member" trittium " has a good spread on Flickr showing the Canon 35/1.5 lens use to its potential.

I have not been lucky enough to own the 35mm but I had a Canon 50mm f1.5 once and recall it took very very nice photos. I sold it in the end as it was not in the best cosmetic condition (chrome flaking etc) If I knew what I now now I would have kept it. I will see if I still have some negatives. Only problem is that the photos I know were taken with them were of an ex partner. If my current partner found out, well in the words of Basil Fawlty when Sybil says "Basil, you know what will happen if I find out....." and Basil relies "You'll have to sew them back on first!" Well thats what I figure will happen to me.

Last edited:
xayraa33 said:
RFF member" trittium " has a good spread on Flickr showing the Canon 35/1.5 lens use to its potential.

IIRC, he also started a thread some time ago on this lens, including some nice shots. I went looking for it but couldn't find it, though.

@peterm1: I agree completely about the Canon 50/1.5 -- it's a fabulous lens. I'm curious though about whether the 35/1.5 has a similar sonnar-esque design/signature.

here is the 35/1.5 on my Canon IIS2, it makes for a compact rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
I've sold a 35/1.5 with "feet" distance scale and bought a mint one with "meters". Amazingly, it came from Wetzlar. The 35/1.5 is the best Canon 35mm in terms of color saturation, sharpness at f/2.8, and probably bokeh. It's prone to ghosting. A hood can help. The W-50 hood is quite common because it fits the 35/2.5 Canonflex lens as well. I doubt that it was initially designed for the RF lens. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14734139@N00/tags/rfcanon3515/

I bought one of these in 'mint' condition on the auction site , arrived on Monday and cost £200. Will be out testing it on my VT de luxe this weekend and will post once developed.....

Sonnar2 said:

The color market photos are lovely........ that brings back fond memories of going shopping once or twice a week over there when I lived in Nuremberg as a civilian :D

Dexdog: I was told that this hood works really well on a Canon 50mm f1.4 as well...so that`s why I bought it, I think that somewhere down the road I will have the f1.5 so for now I`ll be holding on to it, but I`ll keep you in mind.....
(I will trade it for a Summarit hood, if you ever find one of those)

Tom

Thanks for all for the answers. I have seen the pictures and galleries and all in all, it seems a good lens.
Tom why do you want one after having the 1.8?
Do you think its signature is so different? It's only half a stop difference.
Will you drop the 1.8?

Don't get me wrong, I have the 1.8 which is very nice and just got the 1.5 on a kind of gambling auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280194386315&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Yeah, right, an enlarger lens...;)

I just hope it's in clean condition (so the seller says..). If it's the case, I guess I had a good deal...

It sure seems to flare easily.

I guess the hood should be on its way soon.

And a filter..

When will this end ?:)

Last edited:
sanmich said:
So all in all, it seems a good lens.
Tom why do you want one after having the 1.8?
Do you think its signature is so different? It's only half a stop difference.

I`m trying to complete a pallet of Canon lenses for work, two 35mm lenses will be enough, I also want a 100mm f2.0, a 50mm f0.95 (in Canon 7 mount) and the 50mm f1.2 (as a backup lens to stop down to f1.4 - while the bokeh is a little different at f1.4 than the 50mm f1.4 is)

An enlarger lens? I did`nt see this auction and it was here in Florida, well if you don`t keep this lens let me know

Tom

Last edited:
sanmich said:
Yeah, right, an enlarger lens...;)

I was watching that auction- you got a great deal!. I was tempted to bid on it myself, even though I already have a nice clean example of this lens.

I am not wild about the lens wide open, but stopped down to f2 it is a beauty.

Here is a link to some of my Canon 35mm/1.5 photos that I took with Mark's lens. The website belongs to Roland.

I would love to own a clean example of such a lens one day. My Canon 35mm/1.8 is being cleaned by a professional, so I am looking forward to a better lens returning to me.

link: http://ferider.smugmug.com/gallery/2890163#155365997

Last edited:
AHHHH

Raid! Thanks for joining.

I did studied your test yesterday before posting. Thanks for doing such a systematic comparison!

Generally, the lens seems to perform well. One thing remain unclear to me regarding flare:

On the candle flame example, the canon 1.5 fully open seems one of the best if not the best of the bunch.

On the light bulb, the same lens is obviously one of the worst

:confused: Any explanation for this?:confused:

Back