Canon 50mm 1.2 LTM with Leica M10

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
12:36 AM
I took out my Canon 50 1.2 LTM with the M10. I like the possibilities that can be created with this fast lens. It is not as large or heavy (or expensive) as the Canon 50 0.95 Dream Lens, and it is a lens that I find to be an excellent overall lens to use.

link: https://raid.smugmug.com/Leica-M10-Canon-50mm-12-NOV-2021/

Canon50-1.2-X3.jpg

IMG_3529-X2.jpg

IMG_3527-X2.jpg

I did not add any contrast or anything else other than using LR5 to convert DNG files into jpg files.

Canon50-1.2-18-X3.jpg

I was curious how the OFF looked like when using this lens wide open at 1.2.

Canon50-1.2-34-X2.jpg

Canon50-1.2-35-X2.jpg

Canon50-1.2-37-X3.jpg

This image was cropped and modified to a B&W version.
This man was telling me about his feeding sessions with several squirrels in this park in Pensacola. He even had a name for each squirrel.

Canon50-1c%20copy-X2.jpg

The color image was changed with PS by curve, while the B&W version was obtained with PerfectExposure in BW Tri-X 400.

Canon50-1.2-33ps%20copy-X2.jpg

Canon50-1.2-33ps-X2.jpg

This man was telling me about his feeding sessions with several squirrels in this park in Pensacola. He even had a name for each squirrel.

Surprising how you maintained this great image quality after cropping and converting!

Erik.

Surprising how you maintained this great image quality after cropping and converting!

Erik.

Thank you Erik. It is fun to play with image files.The lens is excellent.

Canon50-1.2-19c%20copy-X3.jpg

Canon50-1.2-17c%20copy-X3.jpg

JManivelle too told me that the Canon 50mm f1.2 is a great lens, but I don't dare to buy one on eBay before I see it in real. The shots by Raid are impressive, you can count the hairs of his beard!

Erik.

Thank you, Erik.

My lens was once with DAG to figure out why I got some strange looking images where the focus "point" went diagonal (left low to right high" on each image. I sent it first to two other lens repair people, but they could not figure out what to do to fix this lens. Don took it apart and he found out that some glass elements had moved. He corrected it, and the lens was very good afterwards.
The 50 1.2 is a bargain, Erik.

The lens hood was causing some vignetting, as seen here:

CanonFD.50.1.2.NOV2021---59-X3.jpg

I then changed the hood to one that did not vause vignetting.

It's a fun lens but with questionable handling and a hood that's a real pain in the thumb to attach securely.

As luck would have it, though, the TAAB Hefty is an almost perfect fit for its focussing ring.

How long ago did you send it to DAG? You might want to check yours to see if it has hazed up, based on your images I think it might have a little. The 50 1.2s tend to do that to one of the rear elements. Takes about 10-15 minutes to clean it though as the lens comes apart very easily. I have to clean one of mine every year or so. Good idea to keep that clean as apparently the glass can get etched if not.

If you can live with the long focus rotation it is a great lens and has nice rendering stopped down too.

51704711536_4be27a41ab_b.jpg

51704991458_8e1faaccc2_b.jpg

51703916692_9c9feb2a28_b.jpg

51703916607_1887d1aebb_b.jpg

Shawn

How long ago did you send it to DAG? You might want to check yours to see if it has hazed up, based on your images I think it might have a little. The 50 1.2s tend to do that to one of the rear elements. Takes about 10-15 minutes to clean it though as the lens comes apart very easily. I have to clean one of mine every year or so. Good idea to keep that clean as apparently the glass can get etched if not.....

They are easy to take apart and clean. The element just to the rear of the aperture tends to get hazy on mine. I just cleaned mine a few weeks back. Shot a figure drawing session with my old Canon IVSB2 last week. I need to finish the roll and process this weekend.

Jim B.

Good question. It may have been several years now since I sent the lens to Don. The slight haze makes it a nice portrait lens, though.

I checked out the lens with a light but I cannot see any haze. It could be that the hazing is minor and I am not seeing it.

They are easy to take apart and clean. The element just to the rear of the aperture tends to get hazy on mine. I just cleaned mine a few weeks back. Shot a figure drawing session with my old Canon IVSB2 last week. I need to finish the roll and process this weekend.

Yup, that is exactly where mine gets hazy too. I've soaked the helicoid to get out all the old grease and it still does it. Very easy to clean.

Shawn

....Yup, that is exactly where mine gets hazy too. I've soaked the helicoid to get out all the old grease and it still does it. Very easy to clean......

Some of the rare glass elements are prone to staining which can't be cleaned away. Kanto Camera (Japan) has contracted with an optical supplier to supply replacement lens elements. No idea what it would cost, but the option is there if somebody is so inclined.

Jim B.

Back