Canon 7 question

dougcee

Local time
6:27 PM
Hi, new member here!
Quick question. I am now the owner of a nice clean Canon 7. All working fine except one thing. The rangefinder works as it should and is clean, but there is a noticeable double image all the time on the patch, even when split images have converged. Alignment or mirrors de-silvering?
Thanks!

O2, it is vertical and horizontal. It's frustrating because the rest of the camera is just great. I haven't run a roll of film through yet, so I'll see if it focuses OK the way it is.
There is a local repair guy who said it might be mirrors going south when I described the problem to him over the phone.
Thanks for your input! :)

So the images never line up properly? More than likely it's just a combination of vertical and horizontal adjustment. If the mirror was shot, the image would be hard to see, not out of alignment.

Well, there always seems to be a faint but noticeable double image even when the main images merge. It's usable I guess, but always the slight horizontal and vertical shadow.
Imagine looking at a sharp 3 dimensional letter T that was against a wall and casting a horizontal and vertical shadow less than the letter's own thickness. That's what it's like.
Thanks O2!

OK, I think I understand what you're describing. I suppose it could be a mirror issue, but if you can focus accurately without too much distraction from the double image, I'd be inclined to just leave it alone and shoot it.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree. I'll see how the first roll of film looks and if good I'll probably just deal with the minor irritation. Appreciate your help on this 02!:)

ghost image

ghost image

What you describe is called a ghost image. Canon rangefinders mostly the 7 series seem to uniformly suffer from this ailment. Whether it is the mirror design I don't know. Even my latest Canon 7Sz suffers from this problem although to a lesser degree. That is why Leica rangefinder patches are so good--no flare and ghosting.

With a back-silvered mirror (as most glass mirrors are) you can get a secondary reflection from the face of the glass, especially as the glass ages. I expect the shadow image is caused by this. I do not know if old glass can be cleaned to restore (remove) this or not.

Back