Canon LTM Canon 7 shoe mount and strap mounts

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Anton Stek

Local time
4:09 PM
Hello everyone!
I've been using my lovely Canon 7 for 6 months now, and it seems I begin to suffer without a cold shoe. Bought a DOOMO Meter S and would like to attach it to my Canon. I've got a cold shoe unscrewed from a broken FED 3. I plan to glue it on the top plate (on the meter scale, i guess) using 3m double sided tape. And i would really like to SEE some of the examples of this DIY construction, maybe made by users of this forum. There's a risk to glue it ugly and ruin the camera look which is initially a bit clustered and chaotic :)
and number 2 problem is the way the camera hangs on a strap using its own strap mounts. How do you guys carry the camera? I have canon 7 case and in winter i've used it a lot, strap mounts on the case provide normal "hanging" of the camera. But now it's warm and summer and i'd like to carry the camera without this bulky case. Any life hacks? Bought a tripod socket 1/4 strap mount and tried to put strap into left camera strap mount and into the tripod socket strap mount, helps a little but still not even close to perfect..

Anton.

I saw this online, not sure how hard it is to find, but looks like cañón anticipated the problem.

Attachments

• photo116731.jpg
    photo116731.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
It was bit of work, my 7 meter was bad so the entire meter system was removed the hole was patched, I used a hot shoe from a donor camera, and a piece of alluminum drill four holes mounted the shoe. If your 7 meter is working, this DIY maybe not a good option. There are plenty screw mount cameras with shoe sub as Canon and Leica FR can be purchased at fair cheap price, just leave the Canon 7 for 35-135 and others for wider lens.

I use double sided tape. So far it hasn't come off by itself, for the little meter it would probably be fine. That said, I prefer to handhold a meter, I use the shoe for an external finder.

It was bit of work, my 7 meter was bad so the entire meter system was removed the hole was patched, I used a hot shoe from a donor camera, and a piece of alluminum drill four holes mounted the shoe. If your 7 meter is working, this DIY maybe not a good option. There are plenty screw mount cameras with shoe sub as Canon and Leica FR can be purchased at fair cheap price, just leave the Canon 7 for 35-135 and others for wider lens.

btw how does your rangefinder patch looks in the viewfinder? i've read one guy removed selenium meter system too, but he said after that the rangefinder patch edges became a bit blurry and less evident. maybe the meter borders worked like a hood for rangefinder window. and what did you use to patch the hole on the bottom plate where this lightmeter arrow was? i'm looking at your canon and it seems my method is so ugly in comparison. i would remove the meter system also. as for me it's rather useless.

btw how does your rangefinder patch looks in the viewfinder? i've read one guy removed selenium meter system too, but he said after that the rangefinder patch edges became a bit blurry and less evident. maybe the meter borders worked like a hood for rangefinder window. and what did you use to patch the hole on the bottom plate where this lightmeter arrow was? i'm looking at your canon and it seems my method is so ugly in comparison. i would remove the meter system also. as for me it's rather useless.

I have a brand new 7, compare to Leila M, the yellow patch on 7 does not have a clear edge like M, one thing you can do is paint a perfect black edge around the rangefinder window from insider, there is also another black shade with open window for light pass through the mirror near the viewfinder optical group. I installed the hot shoe to cover the hole, I cut a metal piece put underneath the top cover, and drill holes to mount the shoe, I used JB weld to file the meter hole, sand then install the shoe.

Back