Canon camera holder?

Chris Sherlock

Established
Local time
12:56 PM
G'day All,

I have a very nice IVSB2 that I got at a local auction, and in a sudden fit of enthusiasm for anything Canon r/f, I started buying Canon r/f accessories.

The camera holder I bought is an interesting bit of kit, and my camera does physically fit into the holder, but my camera has 1/4" tripod socket and this holder is definitely 3/8", which certainly caught me by surprise.

So, can anyone tell me which Canon r/f models had a 3/8" tripod socket please?

Regards, Chris Sherlock

Chris--I have a Canon III with a 3/8" tripod socket; however, when I look up the Canon III in Peter Dechert's book, one picture shows a 1/4" socket on a camera and another shows three versions of the baseplate on the inside and none of the three match my baseplate. Therefore, I have no confidence my baseplate is original to my camera. Obviously this doesn't help at all; however, Dechert says some of the IIC's were made with 3/8" sockets depending on the market they were sent to. Perhaps other models also had different sockets depending on the markets. This means you'd probably have to inquire about each individual camera you considered or maybe you could just buy a base with a 3/8" socket.

I just acquired a very nice "Canon Camera Holder" which, as I shoulda known, doesn't fit my Canon P -- the holder is skinnier than the P and 7 series frame, and I assume this fits the older Canon IV series (or earlier?) bodies.

Should you not know, the camera holder is a cast aluminum baseplate and sleeve that provides a center tripod mount (rather than the standard end-mount) and with the added vertical adapter plate/bubble level provides a vertical mount.

There are at least 6 different camera holders. From a 1955 catalog the camera holder for the II and IV is catalog number CA-30101. From ? (undated) and with no codes, IV-S2 and V use different camera holders. From a 1957 catalog the holder for Vt and Vt de luxe is CADYQ and for L is CADVC. From ~ 1967 catalog camera holder for V-T and VI-T is 112809, for L-1, V-L, VI-L, P and 7 112501, and for RM Canonflex is 112626. So CADYQ and 112809 are for the same camera. Otherwise, there is no overlap.

Mine has no part# inscribed, says simply "Canon CAMERA HOLDER". Black enamel, felt lined base, 1/4" screws. Is there a way to ID which model it fits? I'd resell it if I could be confident of what I have.

Last edited:
Perhaps Peter Kitchingman will respond. I'm hoping that his Canon accessories book gets completed some day. Many Canon accessories remain a mystery to me.

Back