canon mioj

transvision

Local time
7:09 PM
hello everyone.before i start i know nothing about cameras.i picked up a canon camera in a local charity shop for 5 english pounds.i collect vintage stuff.the camera is made by canon it is in a full leather case and neck strap.it has a code number on top. 21448. written around the lens iscanon camera co. no 21296 serenar 1:2 f 5cm.it has made in occupied japan stamped in to the leather case.hopefully you can help me with this.?

hello everyone.before i start i know nothing about cameras.i picked up a canon camera in a local charity shop for 5 english pounds.i collect vintage stuff.the camera is made by canon it is in a full leather case and neck strap.it has a code number on top. 21448. written around the lens iscanon camera co. no 21296 serenar 1:2 f 5cm.it has made in occupied japan stamped in to the leather case.hopefully you can help me with this.?

Show us a photo of it.

It could be a llB or something earlier.

What a great find! The serenar 5cm f2 is the early version of the more common collapsible 5cm f1.9. The body is probably the sII or IIb as others have mentioned.
Nathan

If the camera has the tri-focal finder lever at the base of the film rewind knob and the slowest speed shutter speed on the top fast shutter speed dial is 1/20 th of a sec. then there is a good chance it is a IIB model.

The IIB was the first bottomloader model Canon to feature the tri-focal VF.

Looking at your serial number and at Dechert’s book, it sounds like it’s a S-II. The 50/2 makes sense too.

Jim B.

Proof that the cool stuff is often found by people not really looking for it.

It's a very collectible camera. I would love an S-II to go with my collapsible Nikkor 5cm f/2...

If the camera has the tri-focal finder lever at the base of the film rewind knob and the slowest speed shutter speed on the top fast shutter speed dial is 1/20 th of a sec. then there is a good chance it is a IIB model.

The IIB was the first bottomloader model Canon to feature the tri-focal VF.

yes it does have1/20th on the dial

If it has the small lever, it's a IIB.

Look down at the top deck, far left side. If you see the numbers/letter "F, 1.5X and 1X," you have a IIB. If there are no numbers/letters, you have a SII.

Jim B.

If it has the small lever, it's a IIB.

Look down at the top deck, far left side. If you see the numbers/letter "F, 1.5X and 1X," you have a IIB. If there are no numbers/letters, you have a SII.

Jim B.

no numbers.there is something what i can only describe as a small hollow tube protruding from the body of the camera next to the lense. i will take pictures.thanks everyone

transvision

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
"The important part is : does it have the tri-focal lever selector at the base of the re-wind knob or not?

This ID feature will tell us if it is a IIB versus an S II or an even earlier model."

yes it does have small lever.

So it is a IIB, as I surmised in my first answer to your query.

That model was a ground breaking early popular camera for Canon and going by the body serial number you provided ( and the mioj makings) it is an early made one, as the late Peter Dechert said they started the IIB model at 21050 in serial numbering in his Canon RF camera book.

transvision

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
"The important part is : does it have the tri-focal lever selector at the base of the re-wind knob or not?

This ID feature will tell us if it is a IIB versus an S II or an even earlier model."

yes it does have small lever.

So it is a IIB, as I surmised in my first answer to your query.

That model was a ground breaking early popular camera for Canon and going by the body serial number you provided ( and the mioj makings) it is an early made one, as the late Peter Dechert said they started the IIB model at 21050 in serial numbering in his Canon RF camera book.

thanks for that.this is a huge learning curve.as i do no very little about cameras .thanks for your help

Back