Canon P advance lever?

Local time
8:49 AM
I bought a very nice black-repaint Canon P from flyingpalm, and it's terrific. It has, however, a really strange kludgy advance lever that I dislike; looks like somebody molded one out of epoxy or something. I'd thought it was just some kind of plastic cover, from the photo, but it's bonded on there. Any idea where I might be able to source a P lever, especially a black one? I love the standard lever; it's one of the selling points of the P, for me.

Also, it is difficult to switch 'em out?

Thanks!

$_57.JPG

It's quite ergonomic, actually, but I agree that it's kinda ugly. Quite usable until I find a replacement.

A chrome one might look pretty cool on this camera, now that I think of it. Does anyone know if it's interchangeable with the FT/TL lever? One on eBay looks very similar.

Almost looks like the advance lever came off a F-1n.

If you can’t locate a P advance lever, I’m wondering if one from a 1960’s Canon SLR (FT, FP, FX, Pellix) would fit. They sure look similar.

And Canon advance levers are easy to take off. You'll need a spanner of some sort, and that is it.

Jim B.

DAG emailed me a couple of photos, showing what a 7 lever looks like on a P...it sticks out rather too much I'm afraid. But I bought a lever from an FX on eBay and we'll see if that works. If not, I'm sure a P lever will turn up. If any of you has one, get in touch!

18864871325_fbc52333fc_z.jpg

Sounds like a job for a 3D Printer......

Don't have one but just a thought if you wind up on too many dead ends (pun intended).

B2 (;->

Another option might be take it off, unscrew the plastic and make wind-cover in the shape you want it to be.

If you good with a knife and/or dremmel you might be able to use a hard wood and stain it black (ikea magic).

B2 (;->

I was tempted to bid on that camera myself, but the advance lever turned me off. Such a strange modification. Best of luck finding a replacement! Once you do, it'll be a sweet set up.

Enjoyed shooting with it today; it's really in amazing shape. Cleanest metal curtain I've ever seen. The lever is perfectly fine to use, but yeah, once I find a good one, it'll be perfect...

Back